M14 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I haven't been around in a long time as back in 2018 my one and only M1A, Springfield Inc. serial number 090709 was stolen, along with my entire long gun collection, from a mini-storage in Jonesboro, Arkansas. It's a long story, but my mother had just died and her house was where my gun collection was while I've been living/working out of the country. In the days immediately following her death, I had to put the collection somewhere, and settled on a climate controlled, supposedly secure, mini-storage near her house. Well - you know the rest of the story. Within a month, it was broken into and a lifetime's worth of collecting was stolen.

This M1A was a Springfield, which I'd put a minty TRW M14 stock on, bedded, installed a dummy "locked selector," etc. Again, the serial number is 090709. It was a beautiful gun, and I would love to get it back someday, but obviously am not holding out much hope. I'm attaching a couple pics. If you should ever happen to run across this gun, would you please let me know. The Jonesboro police have been of zero help and shown zero interest, so if I'm ever to recover a single gun from this theft, it will be by sheer luck and the decency of others.

Thanks much, and take care,
DeWayne Hayes

Attachments

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
Hello,
Well, That's a damned shame.
I hope they are dumb enough too try and sell em too a pawn shop or someone you know.
Good luck getting them back.

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
I do hope you were able to report the serial numbers of your stolen guns to the ATF. All gun sales are check against a hot sheet by the feds when NICS transfers are initiated.

·
Registered
36 Posts
As a 29 year FFL holder, I’ve never given serial number info to the nics operator during the check. The only time the atf gets direct serial numbers after a theft is from a licensed dealer. Local pd’s take stolen s/n’s and enter them into ncic. The entry is only as good as the info provided by the victim for example make model caliber finish barrel length. Ncic has categories for all types of property that local agencies can make entries on.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I reported serial numbers to the local PD, and they assure me the numbers were reported to NCIC.

Ted, you actually worked on this gun for me in 2014, indexing the barrel so the sight sat perfectly straight. Springfield had overtightened it.

There were many guns stolen in this burglary (an entire collection of Enfield military rifles, for example), including a couple guns of my father and uncle, but this one really sticks in my craw because I spent SO MANY HOURS bedding it, fitting parts, finding the "perfect stock," etc., etc.

The whole thing did make me a bit more philosophical about "things." I doubt I'll ever be a collector of "things" again. You never really own them, you're just the caretaker of them for a while. And if you become too obsessive, they own you.

I do want this one back though so I can shoot it!

DeWayne

·
Registered
36 Posts
I would put the word out to all of you local, including surrounding counties pawn shops and gun shops. Older military bolt actions are nothing but instant cash for the people who stole them. They are not good for thieves and dopers to use because they’re to big to carry around, ammo is sometimes not readily available and they don’t appeal in the intimidation category. Some would have a time trying to figure out how to load internal mag bolt guns. If your local pd’s and sherif’s offices have Facebook, Twitter etc etc pages subscribe to them now. Agencies love to post pics and articles of when they recover/seize guns during cars stops, raids and the like. You also need to get a copy of the theft report to make sure the weapons info you gave to the reporting officer is correct on the report. Get any supplemental/addendum reports also. Your enfield collection would be a prime candidate for say a friend of the thief to take to a pawn with the story that they were “her grandpas war souvenirs“ and since he just passed, nobody In the family wants them, “what can I get for them”. I hope you get them back. We recovered one that was stolen 20 plus years ago from another state, but it was still in ncic all that time.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
It probably has sadly turned into a bag of parts. I keep a lot of my gun stuff in storage while I'm building and earth sheltered home on my property and have the property insured through Collectibles Insurance. They even will cover my substantial supply of ammunition, Best of luck!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I’m in NorthWest Arkansas, I’ll watch all the gun show tables for you on this side of the state and Springfield, Mo. too.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I don't really trust storage units - I would rather bury mine if I have to go far away. Or leave them w/ friends who can store them properly.

I would scourge gun shows or pawnshops for this firearm in your state if it were me. the M14 rifle is not for everyone - so limited people even understand them.

sorry for the loss.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, Arkansas guys, for replying that you'll keep an eye out. I appreciate it. I wish I'd thought to post here when it happened. As it is, every January, for no particular reason, I e-mail the detective who was supposedly on the case to see if he's ever learned anything. A theft of $20k+ worth of firearms for a town the size of Jonesboro should, theoretically, be of interest to him. I usually get a 3-5 word response to the effect that, "No, I haven't." It became clear pretty quickly he couldn't care less. If I ever recover anything, it will be from sheer luck and my own initiative, I'm sure.

Thanks again,
DeWayne

1 - 12 of 12 Posts