M14 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, as I may have posted about before, I'd ordered a batch of a dozen "excellent" birch stocks from Fred's. To say I was less than happy with them (after patiently waiting 3 months to get them) would be an understatement. I've contacted "Fred" & he has agreed to exchange any that I am unhappy with.

Decided to give them one last inspection before packing them up, maybe I was too critical & missed something. As it turns out, I did...

2 of the stocks were coated with a tar or thick grease (not cosmoline) at the front sling swivel & butt plate. I'm guessing that it was an attempt to keep the metal from rusting when the stocks were put into storage long ago. I'd just ignored them previously, because who would want to deal with that?

At any rate, the two stocks have cartouches & proof marks (only 3 out of the 12 had them) & on closer inspection appear to be in excellent/as new contition with few if any dings etc...

So I decided to strip them... :roll:

...much time passes...

I got the grease off after liberal applications of Citristrip, mineral spirits & easy off. Holy #$^&#, I'd like to shoot the fellow that put the grease on the stocks. While I was able to get the surface grease off, it looks like some was absorbed by the wood in the forearm & butt of the stocks. Dunno how I'll get that out.

Any ideas? I'm thinking of trying the "wrap them in paper towels, put them in a black plastic bag & leave them on the dash of your car for a day" trick for sweating stubborn oil out of a stock. I'm also thinking of trying wood bleach, but I doubt that would help with grease? I dunno... Any suggestions would be most helpful as one of the stocks really has some nice figure & I'd like to salvage it.

Thanks!
-JP

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, I've got this licked I think.

I got the grease off the front sling swivel/ferrule area of the stock last night & then put the butt stocks in a bucket of mineral spirits for a couple of hours to try & get the remaining grease out of the wood this afternoon.

Just finished cleaning the butt stocks up & they look pretty good. I think they'll do and are going to be ready to sand by tomorrow.

These are going to be some pretty stocks I think, they have some really nice grain & figure to them. We shall see.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.