M14 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HAS ANYBODY BEEN HAVING PROBLEMS REMOVING TRIGGER ASSY. MY STOCK IS VERY TIGHT IN WARM WEATHER. :roll:

·
Registered
141 Posts
yea, wood stocks do get effected by climate change. Warping and swelling isn't an unlikely occurance, ive been noticed a bit of tightness when I last pulled out the trigger group about a week ago.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately, that's why I went to glass. No problems.
There's nothing like the look and feel of grade A wood. I've got a lovely stained matching handguard / stock set. Still, for weather, synthetics rule.
Sorry
-Bravo

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pick up another stock for the range and leave the wood one for the show case. Make the range one a synthetic I have one and it is unaffected by humidity. They don't need any steel in the magazine area eather. If you paint it wrinkle black like SA does you can touch it up with a balck marker when it gets minor dings.... I never use my wood one much anymore..
..............SP4 Twiggy

·
Rest in peace
1,399 Posts
Dry your wooden stock thoroughly and naturally. Pull the action, and then varnish the inside of the stock with a couple of thin coats. Clean and tung oil the exterior. It won't make it totally waterproof, but you'll see a lot less weather shift than you were. A lot of the warping is due to insufficient oil on the stock, allowing it to absorb moisture readily. :D

The total answer, sadly, is the synthetic stock. Wood is great, but requires much more upkeep than synthetics. Console yourself with a stock from Whammo Camo. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts