M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! Need help!!GI3
I just recently swapped my plastic polytech stock out for a usgi fibreglass stock and my groups have gone completely to hell! So bad that I'm not even on paper anymore at 100m.RNGR4 (Had 7-8" groups with the plastic stock)
I did do some minor fitting ( where the trigger group seats into the stock) in order for it to pass the "hammer follow" test.
I haven't bedded this stock yet, but I plan to before hunting season.
Did I miss something?? I thought I could just swap out these stocks and get slightly better groups but not even hitting paper is ridiculous!!!

I don't know what to do other than start from scratch and re-mout my scope and everything!
Help!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, I didn't change the connector lock.. The appropriate areas (selector & connector areas) were nicely filled prior to me obtaining the stock. The trigger group locked up nice & tight. Maybe too tight?? Everything seems as tight as it was in the plastic stock. Barrel isn't rubbing on the stock at all (from what I can tell) no rub marks.

I can't think of why it would be this far off?!?

I'm sure someone here can think of something I may have missed. You guys have waaaaay more experience with these than this noob!
Feel more like a boob right now! (A saggy misshaped one!)

If pictures will help let me know, I'll take a bunch and post them.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
So are you saying that your groups are so bad that some rounds aren't hitting the paper or that now after you switched stocks you aren't hitting paper at all? You changed stocks and possibly how much tension is on your barrel, changing barrel deflection. If it is the later and you just aren't on paper anymore move up to 25 yards ensure you are on paper there and then move back.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The groups were ok in the plastic Norc stock.

I think the barrel tension has in fact changed. The receiver slips in fairly easily but snug. No movement. There is a gap (1/16") or so between the front band and the ferrule.

If I bed the receiver to the stock (using the coat hanger method?) will this help? Or should I just go back to the Norc stock?

I really prefer the GI stock. Looks way better and seems slightly lighter. Eventually (when I can afford it) I'll put in a blackfeather.

·
Registered
75 Posts
So are you saying that your groups are so bad that some rounds aren't hitting the paper or that now after you switched stocks you aren't hitting paper at all? You changed stocks and possibly how much tension is on your barrel, changing barrel deflection. If it is the later and you just aren't on paper anymore move up to 25 yards ensure you are on paper there and then move back.
I agree, if the barrel tension is different (would be surprised if it wasn't) the point of impact will definately change. Be very interested also to know if there are no shots on paper or if there are some on paper and the rest are not?
Rodney

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was aiming dead centre of the target and nothing hit in 20 or so shots. I stopped wasting ammo at that point. So ya after the swap no hits on paper. 7-8" groups at 100m before the swap.
Could this simply be a barrel tension issue? I think bedding will help but I need to be sure before go to the trouble.

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
If you haven't hit paper you don't actually know what your groups look like, right? They might be awesome. Your first post says your groups have gone completely to hell, and the post above this says you fired 20 shots and didn't hit paper at all.

so...

Reactions: LoB

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
With the action in the stock and the trigger group locked in, look at the heel of the receiver from the side, either side. If there's any gap between the receiver and the stock or you can slide a sheet of paper between......that's a big red flag.
even if you think your lock up is tight ,take a look.
Somewhere your action and stock are touching where it shouldn't...op rod area ?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi all! Need help!!GI3
I just recently swapped my plastic polytech stock out for a usgi fibreglass stock and my groups have gone completely to hell! So bad that I'm not even on paper anymore at 100m.RNGR4 (Had 7-8" groups with the plastic stock)
I did do some minor fitting ( where the trigger group seats into the stock) in order for it to pass the "hammer follow" test.
I haven't bedded this stock yet, but I plan to before hunting season.
Did I miss something?? I thought I could just swap out these stocks and get slightly better groups but not even hitting paper is ridiculous!!!

I don't know what to do other than start from scratch and re-mout my scope and everything!
Help!
The old poly stock may have been rubbing thats y it's so far off . did You try and center your groops a bit .
On a big piece of paper see were you are hitting and shoot for group. if you are grouping well , then you just need to center it .

F.K.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I was aiming dead centre of the target and nothing hit in 20 or so shots. I stopped wasting ammo at that point. So ya after the swap no hits on paper. 7-8" groups at 100m before the swap.
Could this simply be a barrel tension issue? I think bedding will help but I need to be sure before go to the trouble.
Poin of impact has changed . Get a big piece of paper and see were it is hitting then diel it in so that you are hitting on bull.

F.K

·
Registered
932 Posts
Barrel Band Fit ?

The groups were ok in the plastic Norc stock.

I think the barrel tension has in fact changed. The receiver slips in fairly easily but snug. No movement. There is a gap (1/16") or so between the front band and the ferrule.

If I bed the receiver to the stock (using the coat hanger method?) will this help? Or should I just go back to the Norc stock?

I really prefer the GI stock. Looks way better and seems slightly lighter. Eventually (when I can afford it) I'll put in a blackfeather.
If you can slip a cleaning patch under the Lip that fits under the ferrule you have too lose a fit. Try a USGI Barrel Band if it will fit your Barrel and GC.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts