M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I am very close now to completing my M1 Parts Correct rifle, and I have a question as to the authenticity of the stamping on the stock. Research shows that the stock should say " S.A G.A.W" on it with the cross cannons n such, I know there should be a boarder around the " S.A G.A.W" but what about the cross cannons? from the pics I have seen online there is no boarder but it kinda looks on mine that there is the edge of a boarder near the cross cannons, or it could just be a dent, there are a few dents n dings on the stock but nothing too serious. There is also the "P" logo on the grip its fairy faded but still visible and has a very tiny what looks like the cross cannons on the bottom of the grip too. So my main question is does these stampings look legit or could be a nicely done fake?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Couple of things don't look right to me.
Real cross cannons don't slim down so much from breech to barrel. Overall the cross cannons are just too big.

Letters on the SA and GAW I think are too thick and the G doesn't look right. I think the G and W for sure should be slimmer.

Stamp is very fresh which isn't always a problem but is an immediate cause for concern from me. A 60+ year old stock usually has some handling.

I think it is a reproduction but I am certainly not an expert. I'll try and pull out one of my real ones and get a pic up.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
that circle P has been sanded or wore down through use. The GAW looks nothing like my GAW.

Hope your not out much on it.

There are some website that show how to ID fake stamps.

I am not an expert on M1 stocks, might want to ask the folks in the real or repro forum of the CMP.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am out no real money really, this stock came with this mix parts rifle as a whole, I have just been replacing parts for the correct ones as I go, I was hoping this stock would have been legit, I looked over a few pics on google, it looks fairly on par from what I can tell but I too am no expert, and I agree the P on the grip is fairly worn, I suppose from use and I believe someone had maybe refinished the stock at one point, I had read that no 2 stamps are identical in position n such, because they were all done by hand, but I will look into that
real or repro section on CMP for sure.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I looked at mine, my A in GAW is more narrow than the A in SA, but not nearly as narrow as your A. My W is more narrow than your W.

It could be a re-stamp.

Rick B is the person to talk to on the CMP forum…very knowledgable on stocks and a nice guy.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
A WW II stock that was sanded enough during a later rebuild to barely leave the circle proof P impression (which looks authentic SA on yours) that faint would not have been re-stamped with original cartouche impressions at a rebuild arsenal. Those stampings would have been sanded off completely. On many you'll see arsenal stampings that allow a wager where/when your rifle was rebuilt. If the stock fits your rifle tight and stable, hang onto it.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well upon closer inspection of the "A" on mine with others I can see now that mine is very narrow, its too bad its a fake, but, the stock fits like a glove on the rifle so I will keep it for now and just keep looking around for a proper one, thanks all for the helpful info.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts