M14 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see no sticky or info on how to select a wood stock. What should I be looking for?

I presently have a synthetic stock but want the wood. While I am partial to walnut (looks) I hear birch is stronger (?).

Some input would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
I really like the wood, especially tiger stripe. But the USGI fiberglass seems to be the best for durability so I decided to leave mine in the stock it came with. Hope this helps you GI2

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Walnut is normally better looking. Birch is stronger and can be stained to look like walnut. As far as stock selection goes, look for no crushed areas around action, or tg area. Try not to get one with deep gouges, or cracks unless you want that been there done that look. My $.02.YMMV

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
l look for hard, tight, dense, crack-free, not oversanded. Need to check 'em out when they're bone dry. The inside is as important as the outside, as in how well will the thing seal and bed. I've had better luck with walnut than birch for the M14 type rifles, but the next guy's experience may be just the opposite.

·
Registered
744 Posts
That's a tough one. What resources do you have, can you go and look at some to chose from?

CMP Has some complete for 35.00. But unless you can go to there store, you'll get what they send.

Good Luck with your quest.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No resources to look at any stocks. I almost have to take a sellers word for condition. I would hope an inspection time would be negotiated in any deal.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
U.S. Armory has delivered some good wood. Fred's has some, too, but he's painfully slow getting orders out. Good luck.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've had very good luck purchasing stocks right here on the PX. Usually the seller will post several pics. Good luck.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
U.S. Armory has delivered some good wood. Fred's has some, too, but he's painfully slow getting orders out. Good luck.
Well considering Fred is busy with saving a country with Appleseed, I don't doubt that orders are slow getting filled. In fact , I think he has a disclaimer posted about slow orders.

Thanks all for the advise.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts