M14 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I need some help on how to repair this mess I made. Someone got happy in putting in brass screws and one of them he put in crooked and it came out.

so I tried a Norm wood trick in lifting the wood, well I got it half way up and it broke in half and the other half broke in a thousand pieces. I put the one half back in place and I tried a piece of White Birch, sticks out like a bad spot.

Any help or ideals on what to do next.

Thanks
Tony

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I doubt there will be any way to do a patch that will blend in. Perhaps do an inlay with a different material or wood with a contrast.

Hobo

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
^^That is very generous^^ Iron worker is an asset to this forum!

If the stock was mine, I would cut out a section up to the liner lug. That way there will only be three sides to the patch. It will be bigger, but three sides stand out less than four! Maybe go with a dark stain to blend everything after you put in the new patch.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^^That is very generous^^ Iron worker is an asset to this forum!

If the stock was mine, I would cut out a section up to the liner lug. That way there will only be three sides to the patch. It will be bigger, but three sides stand out less than four! Maybe go with a dark stain to blend everything after you put in the new patch.

Good luck!
m1476251,

dam good ideal, thank you for that.
Tony

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You have an entire section from an as new WRA birch M14 stock from behind pistol grip to in front of op rod cutout heading your way.

WWWWOOOOOOOWWWWWW, Thank you so much, was very kind of you.

Hope I can pass it forward someday.
Thank you
Tony

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
One of the easiest ways to patch wood is to drill a shallow flat bottom hole at repair location ,then out of the same wood or same type make a precision round dowel that will be a light drive in fit to that hole selecting a matching grain. Use a epoxy glue to seal dowel. then sand and stain. I've personaly have had several original M14 stocks that were factory done this way to get rid of a knot or other defect.

If you have a drill press you can make this hole and dowel fairly easy.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One of the easiest ways to patch wood is to drill a shallow flat bottom hole at repair location ,then out of the same wood or same type make a precision round dowel that will be a light drive in fit to that hole selecting a matching grain. Use a epoxy glue to seal dowel. then sand and stain. I've personaly have had several original M14 stocks that were factory done this way to get rid of a knot or other defect.

If you have a drill press you can make this hole and dowel fairly easy.
Iron Worker, that is 2 different ways to do the fix; I'll have to give each a try on some scrap 2x4.
Thanks for another ideal.

Tony

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well here is patch # 2; I used the end of the stock up by the forearm; it was the only piece that had the same wood grain; but as you can see when I put on the teak oil it turned very dark.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok; now on to patch # 3. I cut off a piece from the pistol grip aera.
And lost all the grain from sanding. and after putting on teak oil ;I just did not like the look.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now we go to patch # 4; Went on vacation to Maine; on an outing past woodworkers paraidise. Stop in the next day and ask if they had some yellow birch. Picked up some pieces for like $8.00. you can also order different kinds of wood. off the net.

Here is the piece I used to make the patch.

Here is a piece of Tiger it was 7 feet long I ask them to cut it in so I could get it in the car.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
So here is what it looks like with the first coat of teak oil on it.

I would like to give a big THANK YOU to Iron Worker and M1 Army and M1476251 for there help and ideals.

Some things I learned in doing this ; Sand the bottom of the patch to get it down close to the stock, than do the finish sanding. The more you take off the top you loose the detail of the grain. Another is to save your saw dust and stain the saw dust before you mix it with wood patch this really makes sure your saw dust take the stain. I used a little bit of yellow amber and some Mahagany, to get it where it is now.

·
Super Moderator
3,399 Posts
Tony - great work!

Like I said before [your for sure have the patience] it takes to work on the stocks! That is a great patch and I know you have learned a lot on this project [i.e. more than just the patch itself -> the grain, how it sands, keeping sawdust, mixing wood filler etc.etc.].

Looking forward to some more pics when you get the additional coats of teak oil on and wet/sanded [and finally locking up your barreled receiver back in the stock].

Enjoyed the pictures and updates along the way!

M1Army

1 - 17 of 17 Posts