M14 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a couple of stocks from Fred's and am now in the process of restoring one and am undecided on the other. The first, a Big Red, birch Vietnam battle rifle is pretty dinged up, but I knew that up front and I bought it as a project. I have stripped it, using Citristrip, and after some light sanding am pleased with the results so far. There was a deep divit below the select switch cut out that had been filled prior to Fred receiving it by the original owners. I plan to dig that out and fill using sawdust and epoxy technique described by others here.

The second stock is a walnut, "As New" that I have plans for. The walnut stock is in excellent condition, however, it has several deep punches just ahead of the trigger guard that are bothering me. In addition, it has a sticky substance, cosmoline I'd guess, on the butt.

I have refinished a number of stocks in the past, and have used an iron to great effect to remove dents, dings, etc. however, I have never done this on a stock I was not prepared to strip. So, I am wondering if anyone has steamed a stock without ruining the finish. Also, I,d like to wipe the sticky goo of the stock without messing with the "as issued" finish which is a bit rough, sorta 180 sandpaper texture.

Any thoughts?

Mark

·
Super Moderator
3,396 Posts
Hi Mark,

I see no other replies so I will give you my .02.

First I always think it helps the forum members if you post pictures in a situation like this so it is easier to make a recommendation.

In this case = "the walnut stock" you have asked two questions.

1. "Deep Punches" just ahead of the trigger guard... An iron is good to remove dents, dings [shallow ones] etc. - however, if you steam dents on a finished stock I think you have to be prepared for that to possibly impact/compromise the finish when compared to the rest of the stock. Again if we could see the deep punches and location it may not be that risky, but applying hot steam to a finish will likely impact it and you may have to work on that area afterwords. Also depending on how deep these punches are steaming may not raise them enough to meet your objective, so you may have to have an alternative plan (i.e. like filling etc.). Again - hard to advise without seeing the stock and pictures of the finish.

2. The sticky substance - I would wipe it with a clean cotton cloth to see if it will remove it and or just blend in with the stock. If it is stubborn you may want to try cotton cloth with a very small amount of mineral spirts? Again - not sure how much of the butt stock the sticky substance covers.

Please post up some pictures and I am sure some of the forum members can provide better recommendations [even myself] if we can see what you are working with.

Good Luck - M1Army

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stock photos

It took me a couple of days to take the pics, but this shows the dings pretty well I think. Like I said, I am reluctant to steam these for fear of ruining the finish. Can this stock be saved GI2

Mark

·
Very Old Salt
1,905 Posts
It took me a couple of days to take the pics, but this shows the dings pretty well I think. Like I said, I am reluctant to steam these for fear of ruining the finish. Can this stock be saved GI2

Mark
It looks like those are deep enough to where they have caved in the surface of the wood. Steaming those would only help so much. I don't think I've perfected the steaming technique but I don't think those could be completely steamed out.

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
I prefer to leave stuff like that. It's not worth messing with the remainder of the stock.

I don't like to steam out dents unless sanding the entire stock.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi guys, thanks for weighing in. I think at this point I am going to contact Fred and see what he has to say about it.mi paid a premium for that stock and was not expecting , or wanting, to refinish it. I'll let you know how I make out.

Mark

1 - 6 of 6 Posts