M14 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aloha,

I have just recently finished some stocks that I had originally setup as project stocks. This will be a long thread as I have many pics that I wanted to post... Please bear with me.

The stocks that I received were run of the mill USGI stocks (I ordered 2 Birch and 1 Walnut but received another Walnut for buying some parts as a "throw in"...). The stocks came in the usual grundgy way, very dark stain, dings, dents and in a couple of cases severe gouges.

This should give you an idea of how they looked generally...

I think I posted in an older thread what steps I was taking in refinishing these stocks. This is what they looked like with some finish on them... the sun really brings out the best in the stocks.

Not satisfied with just doing a standard refinish job, I thought I would make the Walnut stocks (because they had such great grain and fiddleback in both) like how custom stocks come from Remington.

On this Birch stock, I made a fairly good attempt at refinishing this stock, it had severe gouges, dents and dings. Overall, I think it came out okay. Recently I have seen some of Quagmire and DPERR's outstanding work and I wanted to include at least this Birch that has some figure but very light stripes... The other Birch that is still drying, has prominent stripes and is coming along fine.

Close ups of the Birch.

The sun light was not cooperating when I took the pics of the stocks on the Woodland background... but I hope they were enough to give you an idea of where this project stands...

I hope you like the pics... and thank you letting me share them.

Aloha and Best Wishes,

Tom O.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
WOW!!! Very nice Tom! Excellent looking stocks, great work. :D

How did you handle the gouges in the birch stock?

I see you got them from US Armory. After getting 2 cracked stocks in a row from them I've pretty much given up on buying stocks from them.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks PapaFoxTrot/Quag! I always appreciate your kind words of support!

I have always loved working with wood and love making things but refinishing stocks has become a passion! And I am fearless in trying experiments with different stains and even mixing them... most come out okay... I have had some come out bad, but not a problem... I just strip them down again and start all over... the main thing is that it's FUN!!! I will stop when it becomes a chore!

I got three stocks from the US Armory. And, I have had some really bad ones from them as well! For the price, I think you are doing well by going through Fred's! I think the product is better priced and better condition... but I really got lucky on these... and the Walnut one with the most "fiddleback" actually was given to me as a "throw in" when I bought some parts from someone... It looked like crap when I got it but it cleaned up really well!

Quag, for the amount of stocks that you have been doing, the workmanship looks AWESOME! And the colors have come out MARVELOUS! I sometimes feel tempted to order a large bunch from Fred's but don't know if I have the time... :?: :lol: :cry:

By the way, the Poly is really coming along!

Aloha and Best Wishes,

Tom O.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
VERY NICE TOM!

I give a lot of credit to those that work with the woods because that it something that I could never do for some reason. I've built several homes in my lifetime out of wood but thats about as far as I got.

I like the fiddleback ... :wink:

Six

·
Registered
188 Posts
WoW!!!

Tom,

I can't add much to what everyone else has already said, in both this, and other stock projects that you have done. I can truely say that while there are plenty of people doing excellent stock work (Quagmire being one), you will never have to take a back seat to anyone. Fabulous work! You're the man! Thanks for sharing.

Darrell
(dperr)

·
Registered
927 Posts
Very Good, Tom, I tried my hand at a little project the other day on my
CETME it turned out ok I guess, I still didn't get it the way I wanted it. It
had alot of oil ( I think thats what it was ) in the stock. It had alot of black
spots in it that just seem to get worse the more I fooled with it. Then it got kinda fuzzie looking, and the wood seem to be soft it places. So I let
it sit for a couple of days, and it looked better . I think I left the EZ OFF on
to long :? Well it looks better now than it did when I bought it. :wink:

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
dperr: You're absolutely correct, Tom is THE MAN!! ;)

I look at his absolutely beautiful stocks and realize I have a long wasy to go yet. That's ok, it'll be fun getting there... :D

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Aloha!!!

Wow, them kind words coming from you guys makes me feel GREAT but I know that I am still novice and still learning!!! And, I got a long ways to go as well... and it IS FUN getting there, huh, Quag/DPERR... :lol:

So thanks again! :lol:

Boomer: Brownells has a good product that removes or draws oils out of wood... you might want to give it a look over... let me know if you can't find it...

Aloha and Best Wishes,

Tom O.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.