M14 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started finishing this particular M14 stock a few weeks back. Regular schmutz. Used naphtha to pull the gunk out. Gentle wet sand with extra fine 3M sanding sponge and BLO. 2-3 coats absorbed. Oil not completely dry and so oil a bit glossy in the pics. And overhead lighting.

Stock was purchased as excellent plus from Freds a few years back. They were certainly some of the best stocks I got from him. This stock has a unique "grain" of thought just like its caretaker.

Stock earmarked for my NC Wolfepack collection.

·
Super Moderator
3,398 Posts
Very Interesting Stock - you never know what might come out of "Fred/Jack's Stockpile."

Would like to see some full-length shots of that stock to see how the grain runs all the way down the stock when you get it ready.....

Looks Great.....

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Same on out to the end. I didn't take any full shots due to the poor overhead lighting and wide open aperture. I don't like to use flash as it skews the colors. I worked pretty hard to get these shots. I take much better stock pics in ambient light.

I'll get some full shots sometime, but most likely when I mate her action, throw in a TG and slap on a handguard.

Reactions: Circlehook

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Knots in wood make beautiful patterns, but are usually considered undesirable for gun stocks. I'm surprised this one didn't get culled when it was made. Maybe it did. The really dark areas look like burn marks from tooling or a flame rather than grain.
It is quite interesting. Thanks for sharing.

·
Super Moderator
2,183 Posts
sweet caramel color and groovy grain.

really, really nice

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's bling is an all TRW parts kit to include a like new TRW barrel. Just waiting on JY Wolfe.

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I haven't the foggiest idea about their release date.

Saved my two nicest kits, an all SA and TRW, for something special. Was thinking LRB, but when JY announced a receiver offering then I changed my mind. He and JD have always been good to me and I look forward to supporting their entrance in the receiver market.

Reactions: Circlehook
1 - 19 of 19 Posts