M14 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a buddy that has a Clint Fowler built M14 in a very ugly 2 piece stock and he was commenting today at the range that he'd like to get it put in a solid stock. Who sells/makes such a beast or who could/would bed something like that in a one piece stock?

·
"Death From Above"
11,646 Posts
The only stock I considered for my double lugged lrb's were the mcmillan line of stocks. I have a rear lugged in the M1A and a double lugged in an M3A Adj with integral cheek piece and the thumbwheel option. Here is a pic of the double lugged M25 in the M3A Adj

here is a pic with the mcmillan M1A and another double lugged M25. I am not sure if will go into another M3A or an M2A, I'm leaning towards the m3a

I used the services of Derrick Martin from Accuracy Speaks in Arizona. He did a great job for the right price and his turn time was pretty quick.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I've got a double lugged Fowler in a McMillan. Looks and works fine.

·
Registered
409 Posts
For about $450 you can get a walnut M21 stock from SAI. I believe its made by Boyd's. Its no McMillian, but its a lot less expensive and looks very nice. I have one ane really like it. I suppose it depends what your budget is and what you plan on doing with it. Just my thought

Remember, the more you spend on things like stocks and glass, the less you can spend on ammo (unless your wealthy). What do you really want to do? Shoot a very cool rifle, or just have it look cool in the safe.

Just posing a differant point of view, devils advocate if you will.SGRIN

·
"Death From Above"
11,646 Posts
I have an M21 also I don't know if I would trust the wood. just in front of the receiver well needs to be milled in order to accept the lug. Not to mention you need to out the torque screw and bushing in the wood as well. I think the wood might be too weak for a front lug. The M21 stock is nice. If I could only have one I would get the M3A.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
The M1A and M3A are $498 direct from McMillan, so not much more expensive...
That's a good price for the product, considering how complicated it is compared to a typical bolt gun stock. Mechanically speaking, do you need to send your barreled action to McM in getting a double-lugger stocked? The rear lugs tend to be pretty similar from one receiver to the next but you see variations in the front lug design.

·
"Death From Above"
11,646 Posts
Nope you dont. They have there molds set up based on the "SAI double lugged receiver". Its easy enough for a smith to mill out the material needed on order to fit your action. I asked the same question when I called Mcmillan. Thats what they told me. On another note they do a great bedding job but they dont bed double lugged M14. I was contemplating useing there service and thats what the smith said. I used Derrick Martin and I am glad I did.

·
"Death From Above"
11,646 Posts
Yup no problem for him he did an outstanding job on two of mine so far. I will eventually send him two more macs for bedding.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
What the heck is a "very ugly 2 piece stock " ???

2 pieces? Front and rear? Top and bottom? left and right??

·
"Death From Above"
11,646 Posts
Mcann cought my eye as well! They have some nice accesories ie the top rail. I'm not sure if it bolts onto a medium or heavy barrel. I was considering them for a folder which he said he could make with the same ace folding mechanisim. As oppose to the mcmillan mfs-14 system. I have not counted it out but I have to find out about the rail attaching to a heavy barrel.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts