M14 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a nice stock to refinish and the stock ferrule is in bad shape. Can/How are these replaced. Familiar with Garands, but not M1's.
thanks in advance
Thom

·
Banned
2,159 Posts
You have to be careful with removing the feral so you don't damage the wood.

Use a thin piece of metal shim against the end of the stock then use a fine blade screw driver to pry the feral off.

If you go real slow and easy it will come off.Go a little bit at a time all around untill it's off.

warbird out

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Warbird
Thanks
The more I look at it, the more "nervous" I get about taking it off.
Think I will mask it off and do the stock and then address the ferrule.
thanks again

·
Registered
126 Posts
Ferrule

I've been thinking about this myself. What if you carefully drilled out the dimple or dimples in a drill press, where the ferrule is staked to the wood. Wouldn't it just slide right off with less chance of damage once the dimple is gone? Just asking. Good Luck

·
Banned
2,159 Posts
Re: Ferrule

Cheetahman said:
I've been thinking about this myself. What if you carefully drilled out the dimple or dimples in a drill press, where the ferrule is staked to the wood. Wouldn't it just slide right off with less chance of damage once the dimple is gone? Just asking. Good Luck

That would be alot more work than neccesary.Most are pressed on and some fiberglass stocks they are glued on.

warbird

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.