M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Let's say you get picked up and dropped into a live combat zone. Would you feel under-equipped in modern combat with an M14? Would you feel as if it were outdated or somehow no longer relevant?
I am asking because I have seen far too many armchair generals rant about how the only combat rifle anyone needs is a SCAR and how any rifle built before 1990 is CENSOREDGI and outdated. What do you guys think? M14 still a great fighting rifle?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I think this question has been beaten to death on this forum allready. A-M14, M-16, M-4 heck even a AK will all do the job. Some might outperform others during close quarters fighting. But the reality is, besides being issued in limited numbers as a DMR the M-4 looks like it still has many years of service in the US military.

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
Let's say you get picked up and dropped into a live combat zone. Would you feel under-equipped in modern combat with an M14? Would you feel as if it were outdated or somehow no longer relevant?
I am asking because I have seen far too many armchair generals rant about how the only combat rifle anyone needs is a SCAR and how any rifle built before 1990 is CENSOREDGI and outdated. What do you guys think? M14 still a great fighting rifle?
Depends on the mission . . .

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Am I dropped in alone? Squad level? Platoon level? Battalion size assault? What is environment? Urban, desert, woodland, tropical? What is resupply situation? How much ammo do I have? Optics?

I would certainly not feel undergunned.

G

·
0 Posts
I have somewhat hypothesized & fantasized this very question : If I could take one rifle & pistol along with all the ammo I could carry to a hostile planet what would they be?

An AK47 and S&W 686...Although I'm a big fanboy of the G19 and might take it along instead.

·
Forum Jester
7,396 Posts
as long as i had something that went boom,i'd be happy.sling shots optional. rocks are everywhere

·
Forum Jester
7,396 Posts
even if they had plasma rifles,shoot them in the legs and take theirs.bullets still hurt.then finish them off if they are not friendly

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
If it goes bang when you pull the trigger, it is relevant and no question the M14 is relevant especially if you are the enemy being shot at. If alone as you say you are going to have to move and move quickly and often and there I want lots of ammo and portability; hence, the M4 or similar firearm.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I would take a m14, m4, ak, G3, garand or just about any semi type of rifle if they dropped me off. The true goal would be to have the same amount of ammo at then end of each day that I started with. But 308 goes through doors, walls, cars and everything else much better than 556/7.62x39.

·
Forum Jester
7,396 Posts
brian,depends on what type of upper armor they are wearing,if any.everybody shoots for center mass of body,which is usually protected.legs are likely not protected as well,or not at all.they bleed out and are slowed down.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Yes, I used on in Iraq. It is still a great viable platform. The Sage chassis system has made the M14 weapon system reliable and modular. In my opinion the MOD 1 is ideal, it weights about 2lbs less then the mod 0 and gives you the option to run your preferred AR pistol grip and stock. The Scar 16 and 17 are great platforms but don't add anything in capabilities that the M14 and M16 family of systems don't already do.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
brian,depends on what type of upper armor they are wearing,if any.everybody shoots for center mass of body,which is usually protected.legs are likely not protected as well,or not at all.they bleed out and are slowed down.
Well now you've gone and swept us back to reality. Now you'll need to hit the femoral artery though, right? I think the face may be almost as available as the legs, but legs are bigger. For now, for me, it's best I keep thinking center of mass if ever in a shooting situation. But this is a good thought provoking thread.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Just because I don't know, what body armor handles the .308 or 30-06 round? Thought most of it was designed for pistol rounds and that for .357 Mag down?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Take a look at my avatar. It served me well in '04-'05. Sure it was a tad weighty but so is a SAW or M240. Would it be my first pick? Depends on my mission. When I was issued one I was in a heavy weapons company since anti-armor was mostly a non-issue during the insurgency our job was to provide support by fire, outer and inner cordons, roving patrol and/or static OP's along the MSR. The M14 7.62 was perfect for those mission parameters. If I was line infantry doing building searches, foot patrols, room clearing in built up urban areas, running and gunning I would prefer an M4 or the Mossberg M590A1. Still I loved that M14 over the M4 and it sure did impress some of the female medics around the FOB. ;D

Reactions: schrader
1 - 20 of 33 Posts