M14 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a M1A. It is a couple years old and came with a GI trigger (TRW).

It is easy enough to flick the safety off, but putting in on pretty much requires the use of the thumb... too much force required for the trigger finger.

Everything is well lubed and clean.

I know the force required is not normal as I have operated other M1As and Garands.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
What are the markings on the safety and hammer? You may have to disassemble the trigger group... The safety "nose" engages a hump on the left side of the hammer.

Personally, I like a stiff safety-on force. Mine is very stiff.

If it's a USGI trigger group with USGI innards, I personally wouldn't worry about it.

P_R

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have a M1A. It is a couple years old and came with a GI trigger (TRW).

It is easy enough to flick the safety off, but putting in on pretty much requires the use of the thumb... too much force required for the trigger finger.

Everything is well lubed and clean.

I know the force required is not normal as I have operated other M1As and Garands.

Any ideas?
Welding Rod,

That's a little funny,, cause when I got my New M1A Standard,, I thought that The Safety on My Rifle was Broken!!!

I did read,, that the Hammer has to be Cocked before putting the Gun on Safety though. So I made sure that was done...

I didn't want to put so much force on it that might break it,, so I called Customer Service at Springfield,, and the Tech,, told me that it was just Stiff... He told me to put more pressure on it,, and sure enough,, it worked!!! I was surprised and figured that mine was just new,, and would limber up, maby,, after fireing it a few times.

Same with mine,, easier for Fire,, and Harder for Safety position,, just like you said.

No problem,, having a Stiff Safety,, on mine,, but no doubt about it,, it's the Stiffest one that I've ever had.

A little bit of Oil or Grease in there might be in order,, but I haven't FieldStripped mine yet to see whats what.

I'll wait to hear what the Experts suggest,
JoeUSA2

·
Registered
209 Posts
My USGI safety was also very stiff when I first got my rifle. Over time it's become a little bit easier to manipulate; I can do it with my trigger finger. It's still very stiff, but manageable. I think I prefer a stiffer safety as well. It just makes me feel better.

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
If you're uncomfortable watching TV with a (make sure its unloaded) rifle across your knees working the safety back and forth remove the trigger housing from the rifle and just work the safety back and forth while you hold the housing in your hands.

Keep at it for a couple evenings and it should loosen up.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
I put just a little grease on mine and it's smooth going off and just a little more effort going on. Can easily do either with my trigger finger.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just FINALLY got my m-305 home and am now an m14-type rifle owner. Feels great. DI2.

I removed my trigger to check it out after finging that the safety was waaay too stiff to be comfortable on a hunting rifle.

After examining the safety mechanism I found that the safety is stiff because it partially cocks the hammer. The hammer is more cocked when the safety is engaged than when the safety is not. You can see this on the left side of the hammer if you take out the trigger and play around with cocking/releasing the hammer and engaging/disengaging your safety.

Is there any common way to redeem this problem? How hard is it to take the trigger group apart? I'm studying engineering nowadays so I'm surrounded by CNC machinists who could help me out with a simple custom piece like that.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Stiffy Safety

I acquired a NOS WIN TG and noticed the same thing when comparing to the 1990 SA TG that was in the rifle before.

I guess the few thousand rounds and engaging the safety so many time loosened up the SA group.

I don't mind having to use a little muscle to safety the rifle, as it's just a nice little push with my trigger finger to make it go live.

I expect my safety will limber up with use and yours probably will too.

Ole Silver

·
Registered
744 Posts
axxxel There is a sticky on the forum that shows and describes how to take a trigger group apart. It makes it simple, but does take some hand strength.

·
Registered
49 Posts
After examining the safety mechanism I found that the safety is stiff because it partially cocks the hammer. The hammer is more cocked when the safety is engaged than when the safety is not. You can see this on the left side of the hammer if you take out the trigger and play around with cocking/releasing the hammer and engaging/disengaging your safety.

Is there any common way to redeem this problem?.
That's how it's supposed to work...AFAIK

·
Registered
13 Posts
Welding Rod,

That's a little funny,, cause when I got my New M1A Standard,, I thought that The Safety on My Rifle was Broken!!!

I did read,, that the Hammer has to be Cocked before putting the Gun on Safety though. So I made sure that was done...

I didn't want to put so much force on it that might break it,, so I called Customer Service at Springfield,, and the Tech,, told me that it was just Stiff... He told me to put more pressure on it,, and sure enough,, it worked!!! I was surprised and figured that mine was just new,, and would limber up, maby,, after fireing it a few times.

Same with mine,, easier for Fire,, and Harder for Safety position,, just like you said.

No problem,, having a Stiff Safety,, on mine,, but no doubt about it,, it's the Stiffest one that I've ever had.

A little bit of Oil or Grease in there might be in order,, but I haven't FieldStripped mine yet to see whats what.

I'll wait to hear what the Experts suggest,
JoeUSA2
any results on your safety loosening up over time? I just got a scout squad and the safety is super stiff?

·
Registered
867 Posts
any results on your safety loosening up over time? I just got a scout squad and the safety is super stiff?
You replied to a 10 year old thread.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts