M14 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my used springfield socom16 today. The rifle itself looks like it's in good condition. It came with two 20 rd mags, and they are a son of a gun to put in. There's a lot of resistance putting them in and I feel like I'm breaking something. one of them goes in and comes out fine with a little effort, the other one not so much. I don't know who makes them as I see no markings on it. The 10rd springfield mag goes in and out just fine. Should I just toss these 20rd mags?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If they are not like these in the picture tutorial here at image seek link http://www.m14tfl.com/upload/showthread.php?t=16476 then they are probably toast. If they match these welds and pics, you can send them to me if you like and I will try and fix them for you, to fit.
the mags I have are marked with a "W" on one side, have 14 same sized dimples all along the body. The protruding latch piece has 6 dimples in it. Best I can do to describe it since I don't own a digital camera.

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
Are the mags parkerized? If so, just practice putting them in a few times to try to wear them in. Remember to use a rocking motion to insert them, don't try to push them straight up.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are the mags parkerized? If so, just practice putting them in a few times to try to wear them in. Remember to use a rocking motion to insert them, don't try to push them straight up.
not sure what parkerized looks like but I'm going to guess yes these are. I'm doing the rocking motion, and they're still a pain to get in and out. Almost like they're too wide

·
Registered
9 Posts
Got my used springfield socom16 today. The rifle itself looks like it's in good condition. It came with two 20 rd mags, and they are a son of a gun to put in. There's a lot of resistance putting them in and I feel like I'm breaking something. one of them goes in and comes out fine with a little effort, the other one not so much. I don't know who makes them as I see no markings on it. The 10rd springfield mag goes in and out just fine. Should I just toss these 20rd mags?
Springfield factory synthetic stocks are super tight. You really just have to use some muscle.

My wife couldn't even seat the mags in my rifle when it was new...getting the walnut USGI stock with the steel liner in the mag well has helped a lot. Fits the receiver nice and tight and makes inserting mags very easy.

We also smoothed the spring guide where the mag hooks in on a polishing wheel and that helped as well.

·
Registered
135 Posts
You can try SAI Customer Service as to what may be the cause. If it is a tight receiver, they will/should fix it. Hopefully it is just a tight stock.

When you insert the tight mag, is it really binding on the sides towards the back of the mag, as you are seating it home? I have seen it so tight fitting that after inserting a new mag 3-4 times, will take the parking off straight to the bare metal and have gouges in the side of the mag. If this is the case, I would call SAI on Monday or whenever you get a chance.

Parkerising is a corrosion process that is black, grey, or even a greenish-grey finish for steel. It can be very course to a very fine texture depending on how it was processed at the time of manufacturing. More texturing or roughness usually goes with a darker finish. It is very porous, and holds oil quite well. That is about the best way I can describe it. The standard finish on and M1A/M14 rifle is parkerized. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Tight Mags

If those mags have a "W" and six weld marks on the mag catch block (if that's the right term) they could be some of the "fake" GI mags that were out a few years back.

How do I know? LOL I bought six of them, 3 "W" and 3 "BRW-S1" marked mags. Would NOT go into rifles without a lot of cussing and grunting.. then getting them out was fun too.

Upon disassembly the springs were too long (1 coil too many) not square etc. Looking at GI mags I have, the square hole that the op rod spring guide fits in was too small (might contribute to being tight as it would in effect make the mag too deep) so I scrapped them.. (still have the bodies and followers springs are no good at all).. they also expanded when full of ammo and made them even harder to insert. Buy some CMI mags and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I'm located in SA, SE side. If you want to try a couple different mags, shoot me a PM. If you want to toss some rounds down range, I'm ten minutes from a private club that has a 200 and 400 yard range. We should be able to figure it out for you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts