M14 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have had this for a bit, but I only shot it once. I finally took the time to zero and set the gas correctly. Matching parts kit on a LMT Grayslake receiver. Built out east.

I really struggled on paper to group well with it. I had a hard time finding the same spot at 100 yards on the 8" black circles I use. I don't mind the sights, but they aren't AR and certainly not M14 sights. I took it out to 500 to see if the zero held true and it did. I was maybe 12 for 15 or something with a steady cross wind. This is a big target. I was kinda surprised actually... I then took it to 200 the next day to compare 150 Norma and 168 GMM with the zero. It seems to like the lighter stuff. I think it is well zeroed for 150s. These shots were taken off an ATV but I will say it was pretty stable and felt good...

5 shots of 150 Norma... flier could have been me or the rifle... maybe FAL stringing?

168 GMM... 5 shots. Bigger group than the 150s. It does look a bit tighter after noticing the splash on the left is not where the group rests.

Not the best rifle for grouping on paper, but she sure is fun for steel. Seemed easier to shoot plates over paper... maybe due to the sights?

Oh and this was great... buddy's buddy had a jam. Could have been the DSA mag or the untuned gas. While popping out the unfired cartridge, managed to pop my left cheek/eye... of course I took my sunglasses off to see the chamber in the shade. I guess the ejector works... I didn't have my face in the ejection port, kinda a freak thing, but a warning about eye protection! No pain or harm with a small bruise, but she hit me! 馃槅 I'm sticking with the East German mags... no issues with those yet.

Registered
I love my StG58, matching kit with a Steyr barrel on a DSA type2 receiver. I sold it once but bought it back as I missed it too much. Put a DSA mount and a Nikon scope on it along with a nice wooden butt stock. They aren鈥檛 as nice as an M14 I will agree but they are nice.
Bubba

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice sticks you have there.

I like that the Stg 58 front end is a grenade launcher adapter, a wire cutter, and I noticed it has glass breaking grooves on the front. It also hides flashes... naturally.

Registered
Thanks for the field report. That rifle is a beauty. Although the M1A is a great rifle, I don't think it has the attractive lines of the FAL especially with that raked hand grip. I think you would have had a bit better results if you were settled on a bench and taking your time. Here are targets I shot a while back with my DSA built STG58 for the Dirty Bird Challenge. Mine has a US barrel not a Steyr.

Registered
Nice sticks you have there.

I like that the Stg 58 front end is a grenade launcher adapter, a wire cutter, and I noticed it has glass breaking grooves on the front. It also hides flashes... naturally.
It鈥檚 known as a 鈥淪toll鈥 flash hider, quite effective.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts