M14 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best quality of these to get?
Is there any real difference quality-wise between the least and most expensive?
Thanks!

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I have a couple of English Sterling 40 round mags (don't think they make these anymore) and one C Products 40 rounder.

·
Registered
939 Posts
SureFire is releasing some REALLY HI-CAPACITY magazines (in support of the IAR project, I believe) shortly. 60 and 100 round capacity, gents...designed by the same guy that originally designed the USGI 20 rounders, of all things.

Here's a link: Click HERE

Yes, it's Defense Review - if the page doesn't load correctly, don't be surprised.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Sweet!

Excellent advance in technology! These should bring a welcome increase in firepower to the guys on the front line of the war on terror.

I wonder if this will drive the U.S. military in moving towards a milspec piston system vs the DI system currently used in the M16 weapons platform. I've always felt that the piston system was an answer looking for a problem, but now with a higher sustainable rate of fire maybe that idea's time has come. This could particularly be true for semiauto only rifles that can now be fired continuously for 60-100 rounds without a mag change or more round counts with rapid mag changes.

Very interesting.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Excellent advance in technology! These should bring a welcome increase in firepower to the guys on the front line of the war on terror.

I wonder if this will drive the U.S. military in moving towards a milspec piston system vs the DI system currently used in the M16 weapons platform. Very interesting.
Close...

From Wikipedia:

"The M27 Infantry Automatic Rifle (IAR) is the name given to a lightweight, magazine-fed 5.56mm weapon sought by the United States Marine Corps, which is intended to enhance the automatic rifleman's maneuverability and displacement speed. The Marine Corps is planning to purchase 4,100 IARs to replace 2,000 M249 light machine guns currently employed by automatic riflemen within Infantry and Light Armored Reconnaissance Battalions. Approximately 8,000-10,000 M249s will remain in service at the company level..."

Click HERE for the rest of the page.

·
Banned
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah... excuse me...but isn't this a case of thread hijacking?

All I wanted to know is in the first post. Seems some of you steered it in a different direction.GI4

·
Registered
166 Posts
Get on 'em, they know better.P_G

To answer your question, the only "reliable" 40 round mags
were the steel ones produced by Sterling in England.

They're not made anymore and command a high premium
today.

The aftermarket 40 rounders made today are for the most
part, junk. Most are unreliable and the one's that do work
are the exception, not the norm.

Stick with 30 round USGI and you won't go wrong.
They're cheap and they work.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
anagram-sam,

My profuse apologies, sometimes I can't help myself, a sign of my advancing age GI7

I only have one of the C Products 40 rounders, and haven't shot it very much, but it's worked okay for me. Yes the Sterlings are flawless!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts