M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally started my M40 build. Have had all the parts for awhile but a PCS move and dad duties have put it off a couple years. Got my garage worked over a bit and pulled everything out of it’s long hybernation.

Got as far as inspecting, cleaning and lapping the lugs. I shouldn’t have had to lap the lugs but it appears the gunsmith that clip slotted and trued the action failed too. I didn’t get a before picture but I had zero contact on the left lug.

Attached is a picture of after (last photo), with the sharpie check I’ve got dang near 100% both lugs. Took a long time and lots of cleaning, lapping, checking, cleaning, lapping, checking..... RNGR3

Got her ready for barrel torque and my homemade barrel bushings ain’t doing it. Gotta wait two days for the right tool to come in the mail.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sourced the stock on eBay. I believe it’s an older BDL that was worked over by a guy on M40 forum. Looked good to me, feels good too.

Not sure on the shroud. I’ll look into I just didn’t think about it. I bought the action as a new action and had it clip slotted and trued.

Stock looks good, how did you source it? Are you going to use that long bolt shroud or get a short one?

·
Registered
9,934 Posts
Its not a huge deal unless you want the Vietnam look which would be the shorter shroud. The Rem V.N. re issue had the short shroud as well.
The safety is another detail to get wrapped up in if desired. Look forward to the build.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thx sir. So I knew about the safety and have another trigger I am working. I also see what you’re talking about with the bolt shroud. Had to google “6-digit m700” to see the difference.

Safeties have to be the short fat tombstone type right?

Its not a huge deal unless you want the Vietnam look which would be the shorter shroud. The Rem V.N. re issue had the short shroud as well.
The safety is another detail to get wrapped up in if desired. Look forward to the build.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.