M14 Forum banner
321 - 340 of 346 Posts

· Registered
2,378 Posts
I started collecting parts again just last week. So far all I have is the rear sight and I have the flash suppressor and a USGI bolt on the way.

Going to build this one on an LRB receiver with 22" criterion barrel 1-10 twist. Will do all the work myself, hopefully I get this project done by December.

· Registered
2,378 Posts
I use to go to Fort Lewis range 15, however since a couple of years ago or so I stopped going there due to their gun registration policy. Just never gone back to register my firearms again for like the third time. Also it got crazy there for a while with so many people, there was a line to get a lane if you got there later in the day.

Now I go to Evergreen Sportsman's Club in Olympia, It's not as nice as Fort Lewis, but the people are friendly and open more days than the base. $15 to shoot for the day for non member, $10 if your a disable vet, $5 if your a member.
The range I think only goes to 97 yards.

Sometimes I drive up to Poulsbo Gun club to target shoot with some friends.
Winter time and if I only want to shoot pistols I go to the Marksman in Puyallup.

Was thinking about joining the Paul Bunyan Rifle & pistol club so that I can shoot out to 600 yards, but to get in it's a couple of hundred bucks + since I let my CPL laps.

· Registered
4,151 Posts
Excellent! Good to see ranges expanding in WA state.

· Registered
2,378 Posts
Went to Evergreen Sportsman's Club and ask the RO about planned long distance range. They are getting close on applying for the permit to build.

On my M14 build, I need four more parts and they are the receiver, barrel, oprod and trigger assembly.
I missed the LRB sale of T44, oh well. May change the receiver to a Fulton for cost savings, just have to wait for their sale on Veterans Day or Christmas. My planned next purchase is the receiver.

· Registered
4,151 Posts
I'm going to be WA state this weekend! Any idea of when you guys would like to shoot?

· Registered
106 Posts
I had a specific reason for posting yesterday. This weekend does not look good - public shoot both days. Sixplus, since I have such an aversion to going to the range, any time you get the hankering, let me know. I am sure arrangements can be made. Mercman, if you want to put up with the crowd during a public shoot day, we could try for Sunday as I hung up on Saturday. I would hate to get a crowd on that weekend, but even if we just met to shoot the breeze or some one handed shooting we could arrange something.

· Registered
403 Posts
Bellingham. Home range is Custer Sportsmens Club. In fact, I'm one of the RO's, who fills in for the regular RO's who need a break. Getting active in this forum because I just purchased (and will pick up on Wednesday/Thursday) an M1A/M14. When I started in battle rifles and pistols, someone forgot to tell me they're addictive (1-1903, 2-1903A3's, 2 M1Garands, 1 M1 Carbine--just a FNG by most standards) . This baby is going to need some "fixing". The previous owner tacmizised the USGI fiberglass stock with desert tan and some strange interpretation of black tiger stripes. THAT will change. Looking for some nice walnut to UPGRADE this baby. I'm old school retired military. Wood and steel, thank you very much.

Ravensdale is a bit of a haul for me. We have informal military rifles (battle rifles, kinda sorta, of all flavors and calibers), on Sundays, 9 am (prep starts at 0830) until running out of ammo, kinda sorta. I did say "Informal". Our rifle section is 200 meters, 200 yards, 100 and 75 of course, and if you want to sight in, 50 and 25.

Since we're a members only, just PM me or on this thread if you want to drop in some Sunday and I'll see if my schedule will let me guest you in. Guest fees are 5.00 all day long. Since I'm kinda sorta retired (can you think of a better retirement job but as a fill-in range officer?), flexibility is possible so if you're in the area, give me a holler. The range is virtually empty Monday through Thursday. 9 am to dark, but I got limitations because of family related health problems.

~Dave

· Registered
106 Posts
I looked at the calendar for next month. There are public shoots on the 9th and 23rd at Cascade in Ravensdale. Any other Saturday is open for a get together. If there is any interest pm me for phone numbers and I will either pm back or send you a private e-mail, your choice. If there is interest, I will probably start a new thread. However this turns out I will continue doing this around the middle of the month for the upcoming month. Lets get this started again.

jb

· Registered
83 Posts
Oak Harbor and a member of Custer Sportsmen's Club. In my opinion well worth the hour plus drive to both use the range and to meet up with NWDave for a little putting holes in paper practice. If something should get set up for there I will certainly try to be there to both shoot and to help out.

· Registered
106 Posts
I don't know how many of you were around when this was all started, so an explanation may be necessary. Cascade Shooting Facilities is in Ravensdale. I am a member, and was lured into what was known as a "postal match". This consisted of putting together a team, shooting a stated course with the M14/M1A platform, and mailing the targets to a "central" location for scoring. Afterward, there was attempt to start a monthly get together just to shoot.

Later, the guy that started this whole thing was sent to various places on work related assignments. The two of us had a conversation about me taking over to try to keep it going. I had a lot of things that got in the way. Besides the personal stuff there was the run on ammunition after Sandy Hook. Back in November I decided that it was time to restart the attempt.

I am a member of CSF and look for any excuse to get to the range. If someone or a group wants to shoot, there are no range fees and the range we shoot at goes out to 200 yds. On "Public Shoot" days there is no sense in going to the range because the crowds can be discouraging. On any other day, with a few exceptions, we could put about 8 people on the line comfortably. There are range rules, as there are at all ranges. Our rules are fairly straightforward.

What I am proposing is for Saturdays. Public Shoots always include Fridays and Saturdays. In February, the range is open to the public on the 13th and 27th. Any other Saturday is open. If there is interest, I will set up arrangements for a meet-up off range to get everyone to the range to begin the festivities. If it becomes necessary, I will play Range Safety Officer and will not shoot or wait until the crowd thins enough to allow me to shoot. This was all a very relaxed atmosphere, and that is the goal this time. If anyone is interested, post it here or send me a pm. Arrangements can be hashed out before hand to make to run as smoothly as possible.

jb

· Registered
641 Posts
I am watching this to see where it goes... I am not competitive ... just like to shoot.

I had a lot of fun joining a shoot in Klamath Falls a couple years ago... long drive, over nighter in a tent. Hot in early June, but Crater lake was just opening for camping. The Oregon contingent made it a lot of fun with an old machine gun, and a full auto police issue M14 that we could fire off a mag for $20. I was a little low on cash, so I watched.. but cool.

It would be nice to have a shoot in East Washington where we could go out to 500 yards....

I recommend an email list... mine is [email protected]

321 - 340 of 346 Posts