M14 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two of the side marked Polytechs with the typical vibrating engravor applied serial numbers. Is there any one out there who can stamp the serial number on the heel and make it look good.
Failing that, I have a die set I can use. But, it can it be done without messing up or distorting the heel?

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
I don't think it can be done without messing up and distorting the law......I wouldn't alter the original. Duplicating it on the heel is fine.

·
Registered
7,818 Posts
Two Problems

First, the receiver is hardened so you won't be able to stamp the numbers. They would have to be engraved.
Second, BATF regulations make it illegal to alter the serial number on a receiver. This includes removing it and moving it to a different location. You would have to leave the original number in place on the side of the receiver even though you engraved it in a different location.
Trust me, it's not worth messing with.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I don't think it can be done after heat treatment anyway.

Unless you anneal it first, and re-heat treat later.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Yes The BATF will take a very very dim View of "Altering" of a serial number

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
I've seen a side marked Poly engraved on the heel with:

U.S. RIFLE M14S
7.62MM
(Owners Last Name)

The side engraving was left alone. Deep engraved and reparked it looked official, and quite well done.

I cannot stress enough that the side engraving done by the manufacturer including the Name, serial, model and place of origin MUST not be altered.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
it can be legally moved, but you need a letter from the ATFE granting the serial # relocation for the particular frame/reciever. as far as stamping the # onto a hardened M14 heel, not going to work well. if you were to do it, look into having the # electro/chemically etched.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Never heard of that one...

I have a Seecamp .45 conversion where the serial no. is relocated to the dust shield in the front of the frame.

The area where the original no. was located was milled off for the double-action mechanism. Larry did a bunch of these and I doubt a letter was sent to ATF for each or was even required. I'm sure he was considered to be a "maker." As long as the correct serial number is relocated prior to removing the old serial there shouldn't be a problem. Except for that "hardness" thing with the receiver heel on an M14 receiver. That would require some specialized engraving or etching equipment. I don't think you would even try to grind off the old serial no. anyway. Remember, if you electro-etch or engrave the number it will have to be .003" minimum depth. (For a Manufacturer, Importer or Maker of a firearm:
http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2009/aprqtr/pdf/27cfr479.102.pdf)

Under removed, obliterated or altered, read here (I don't this even applies to this situation)
http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2009/aprqtr/pdf/27cfr478.34.pdf

Bruce

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
My original question was actually referencing the heel hardness.
However, I do recall reading at one time(years ago), that if one is gunsmithing a receiver(such as a Mauser) and the serial number needs to be removed for whatever reason(such as removing pitting, etc) , one must have the number written down, and the tools laid out to restamp it. Just in case any inspector comes by.
Now, I read that years ago, so the rules may have changed. But then that does not mention the subject of "moving" the serial number.

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
There are heel stamped Poly Tech M-14/s around. I bought one at a gun show about ten years ago and this past October I luckily stumbled across one in a local pawn shop.

I now own two of them along with a preban M-1A. I'll buy another one if I ever run across one at a decent price. I've converted both of mine over to US GI parts except for the forged receiver, chrome lined barrel and op rod which are all good to go as is.

I can understand where you're coming from since that's where the M-14s were stamped. I too wanted my M14 clones to be as close as humanly possible to a real semi auto M14. I think I've achieved it, right down to that magnificent forged steel/heel stamped receiver and chrome lined barrel...

7th

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I have one heel stamped and two side etched, and just wanted them all to look just the same.

·
Automatic Rifleman
574 Posts
You can find a shop with the proper setup to engrave the hardened steel. With modern tooling and a cnc machine it's actually quite easy. I have the software and milling machine at home. I'd just need to buy an engraving tool that would handle the arc of the heel then mill away. I already buy cutting tools from a local company that makes such an engraving head.
It can be done.
I really don't think the BATF would have an issue if you contacted them and proposed engraving a more clear and easily read serial number on your rifle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts