M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit it with some 100, 150 and 220grit sandpaper and then gave it a coat of some Red Mahogany stain. I think it turned out pretty nice

wasnt 100% finishd scrubbing it down yet in these pictures

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
Looks great!GI5

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Looks great. What brand of stain as I have a Boyds stock I'm working on now?

·
"Death From Above"
11,642 Posts
Came out perfect! I think it give the stock a nice deep rich color. I cleaned the first stock I ever did with oxyclean. It took all the old oil and dirt out of the stock. It had a dark look to it prior. I don't mind the way it looks now but it does not have the deep color that it had when the old dirt and oil was in there. Sort of give it a redish brown tone to it when they are used looking. Your choice in stain makes the stock look like that. It will take me many coats of oil to get to the darker finish again. Seems yiu accomplished that in no time at all. Now ya got me thinking.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I put a coating on the wood and let it sit for about ~2 minutes and rubbed it off. then I put another coating on and let that one sit on there for about ~7 minutes and scrubbed that off. The bottle says 25 minutes but I didnt want to make it darker than I wanted right off the bat. Im actually thinking about putting another coating on there, I like dark wood a lot.

·
"Death From Above"
11,642 Posts
I'm with ya on the dark color. The stain really brings out the grain structure nice also. I saw something I think it's called caseys burchwood stain or something to that effect I wonder how that stuff would work.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Looks great!

·
Registered
600 Posts
i have some gunstock and redwood stain, used both on some sample wood, and the redwood did come up nice on my tests.

im going to use it on my Mini-G (when i can afford it that is!!)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would have put some rosewood stain on there, but there wasnt any at the store I stopped at. I think the red mahogany is a good compromise though GI5

·
Registered
25 Posts
Nice job. I seem to vary my stains and methods from rifle to rifle, so all mine look a little different from the next. May do my next one just like yours.

Skip

·
Registered
541 Posts
Just went out and got the Minnwax red mahogany. Gonna give it a try on my SAI stock that came off of a Scout. I put a Vltor on the Scout so the Scout stock is now for my Poly.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Did you use any kind of a "seal coat" to bring out the glow? I'm letting my 2nd coat set, it looks like it would dry a mite dull- not looking like yours.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
my pictures make it look not as 'dry' but it is just like yours. a nice coating of tung oil is what ive been told by a wood worker to put on next

·
Banned
38 Posts
I prefer alcohol based stains. Oil based stains do not penetrate hardly at all if the wood is not totally devoid of oil. It also dries very slowly.

I prefer the Chesnut Ridge stains. They are alcohol based.

Looks great. Nice refinsihing using the sandpaper. A little TLC goes a long way.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I used that excact same stain on my M-1 stock. I had a hard time getting the handguards to match but the stock is a very deep red color. I also finished mine off with blo. Came out very nice.

I also tried my best to sand or steam out all the dents and dings that got put into it when it was packed into the crates for shipment to the CMP. It had a bunch of marks form the rear sight pinions on the wrist and on the front. In addition I also resquared all the edges. I think before it went to CMP it did not have a mark on it. Really upset me to see the dents that had been put into it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts