M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for a hand gun for my wife. She has handled many different handguns a prefers the Ruger SR9C. We went to the gun range and they had an SR9C for us to try. Went through 50 rounds of Remington 9mm. The damn thing jammed 5 times. Note that the gun looked fairly clean and appeared to be in good working order. Does anyone else have any experience with this gun? I intend to take her to another range to try it out again. That being said I am thinking that this gun is junk. Anyone have any comments about Ruger and the SR9C? Anyone have any suggestions for a handgun in the $450 range for a woman? We prefer 9mm...

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Remington ammo based on their .22 LR stuff, is not what it once was and it may be ammo related. When you say jammed did the pistol fail to fire, or did a fired case get hung up in the ejection port or did the rounds hang up on the pistols feed ramp? What kind of ammo was it, hard ball, hollow point, soft point?

Try a different Ruger with some cheap 115 grain Federal hard ball and it should work fine. If you've had it with Ruger, then check out a Glock 26 which is a very sweet, concealable and reliable pistol. Generally speaking though, Ruger usually builds decent semiauto pistols and my youngest son has a Ruger SR9C and his never hangs up.

7th

·
Registered
7,072 Posts
Check out the S&W M&P 9mm Shield, I've handled and shot several examples, they all functioned flawlessly. Also for thier size recoil is very controllable.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Limp wrist?

Deuces

·
Registered
189 Posts
I've tried the Ruger SR series and as much as I wanted to like them I have always been underwhelmed. I know there are guys that love theirs but my last experience was the nail in the coffin.

Recommend Glock 19 or 26. I recently picked up a nice used 19 with fresh night sights for 450.

Like my M&P Shield also, I've seen them for under 400 lately.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
You need to shoot it to make sure she isn't limp wristing it. Also, you might want to try other ammo. Remington ammo these days seems under powered to me.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When you guys say "limp wristing" what do you mean? When I shot the gun it never had an issue... For her it happened 5 times... What was she doing? I had to clear it for her and most of the time it was a shell getting stuck while ejecting. There was an instance of failure to feed

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
It's possible with a loose wrist you can absorb enough force to cause the action to short stroke.

See which gun grip feels best. A glock .380 or 26 or a m&p shield or compact.

If you have the money the sig mini 1911 in 9mm or .380 are female favorites. They are also stylish.

Don't forget the Walther ppk.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just looked up limp wristing... I think this is exactly what was happening.... Particularly because it never happened when I shot the gun.

·
Registered
339 Posts
As for an alternative, just this afternoon my Girlfriend and I picked up her first pistol a Walther PPX for her birthday. Great trigger, dead simple, she loved shooting and at $365 it didn't cost me an arm!

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
You're welcome MarkScott.
My lady did the same thing. Told her to get mean, own it(the pistol) and stay firm. She no longer has the problem.

Deuces

·
Registered
130 Posts
If the next range you go to has one available you might do well to have her shoot the Walther PPQ. It's ergonomics might help her keep a firmer grip on it.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
If the next range you go to has one available you might do well to have her shoot the Walther PPQ. It's ergonomics might help her keep a firmer grip on it.
The HK VP9 is awesome too. Just as good as the PPQ in all respects.

Deuces

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
When it comes to limp wristing...

All semi auto pistols must be provided with a secure platform to recoil against or malfunctions are assured. Female shooters are renowned for having issues with limp wristing due to their lower upper body strength. The giveaway was your statement that the pistol only malfunctioned when your wife was shooting it.

7th

·
Registered
75 Posts
I bought a sr9c for my girlfriend recently, me and her both love it. Has a good trigger for a striker gun and so far has ran flawlessly. Good gun in my opinion, also have a sr45 that I keep loaded in the nightstand.

·
Registered
324 Posts
My SR9C has run flawlessly so far with various loads. The ergonomics are excellent and the trigger is great out of the box. The SR9C gets two thumbs up from me!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts