M14 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a good method for planting potatoes that have sprouted?

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
Yup, you only plant the sprouted ones. You try to cut them so the pieces will have a couple sprouts on each piece, if you can. Have the ground plowed up real good/loose, lay off your rows, plant, cover up, water them as needed. Good eating in a few months.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I remember a farmer I worked for years ago planting some experimentally in boxes above ground and I've heard some other wacky methods. Stacked tires etc. I'm drying the quarters right now per directions I read online. I'm kind of just having fun with this one. The garden is full to bursting already and I need to make space fore these somewhere else.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It's not too late, Duce. I grow potatoes in containers in Connecticut, and I can get two crops in one year. The first one finishes up about July - I plant again and it is ready in October-ish. Get busy.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
Wife doesn't like them in the kitchen when they start to get eyes.

She says they're watching her.

So out to the compost pile they go.

I've found some pretty good ones in the compost pile when I turn it over.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
ive gotten volunteer tomatoes in the compost every year of my life it seems.

I'm going to try that box idea. I have this one I made to smoke mackerel over a Dakota fire hole a couple years ago. I can add to it if they get crazy. Inside is still a little fishy which I would think would be great. Put some rocks at the bottom to help with drainage.

Also: look where the oil plug is on this generator...I'm raging against this machine.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
View attachment 430452 ive gotten volunteer tomatoes in the compost every year of my life it seems.

I'm going to try that box idea. I have this one I made to smoke mackerel over a Dakota fire hole a couple years ago. I can add to it if they get crazy. Inside is still a little fishy which I would think would be great. Put some rocks at the bottom to help with drainage.

Also: look where the oil plug is on this generator...I'm raging against this machine.
View attachment 430453
Yep, the box system for potatoes works well, and here, where it might get below freezing in July, it gives a good frame for a cover at night.
My snowblower had the same aggravating drain system. I ended up using a short piece of 3/8 NPT (IIRC) and a cap to make it easier to drain. I almost think a barbed fitting with a short length of hose and a plug might handle the vibration on your generator better.

Reactions: dogear

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Lift. Good idea. I'm more of a hammer than a wrench.

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
6,653 Posts
I grew sweet potatoes in 18 gal storage bins before, I got a pretty good harvest considering. What I liked was that I could just dump them out on my deck and pick the taters out and shovel the soil back into the bin
The potatoes I got were not the biggest but they all were edible
IMGP2384.JPG
IMGP2277.JPG

1 - 12 of 12 Posts