M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure someone on this forum has one or has shot one---what do you think. I held one at my LGS and I like the feel. How do they perform. PS I didn't like pistols all that much until I got a 1911 in June.

·
Administrator
I lost all of my rifles & handguns in a mishap on Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
18,621 Posts
Reactions: MtTom

·
Banned
654 Posts
I've owned 2 XDM's, the 5.25 & the 4.5, both in 9mm. Both were excellent pistols, and the 4.5 is my current concealed/ off duty gun. I upgraded both with Powder River Pecision parts (trigger, mag release, grip safety) because I could.

Tho I love the .45 for being tha man-stopper that it is, I went with the 9 because having 20 rounds in the grip of my pistol gives me wood.
GI1

P.s. Forgot to mention that I have a buddy that ownes an XDM 4.5 in .45. We took both to the range to compare. .45 has more recoil as expected. Otherwise both are excellent weapons. As a defensive weapon I like the 9 because it gives me 20 chances to hit you in the face (21 if you throw it upon going empty).

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
I also have a 9mm XDm with the 4.5" barrel and really like it, shoots great and I've never had any issues with it while shooting all different types of ammo ... 19 in the magazine and 1 in the chamber makes for a lot of fire power while carrying!

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I had a xdm 5.25 for a while. I think it held 14 rounds of .45 acp, that was a good feeling! I could never get past the trigger though. Once you have a 1911 with a target trigger you are spoiled! Overall the xdm is a good pistol, it will shoot once you find what it likes. I had the best luck with cast 200 gr. swc over 6 gr. of unique.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just like Big Stick said, the Powder River Precision trigger kit from Brownells is excellent. It makes the trigger way better than the Glock trigger, the XD has a sear just like most pistols and with the trigger kit they shoot great .

Here is a three shot group with the trigger kit, this one is a 9mm

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
XD compact 45acp. I like it better than the XDm and the XDs. I have fired them all. I own the XD compact 45.

Dutch

·
Registered
689 Posts
My 45 XDm had the short handle. You could insert a short magazine to make the gun more compact, or you could use a longer magazine (holding more rounds) with a 1 inch plastic band/spacer on the bottom of the mag. I didn't like the mag with the spacer, as the mag would "wiggle" under recoil and throw my next shot when I was in a hurry.

I sold it and bought the exact same gun with the full length stock. Solid grip with no wiggle when I shoot. (I have a compact S&W Shield, a Ruger LC9 and a S&W J-frame when I need a small gun).

So my advice...the XDm is a great gun, but the longer grip is the preferred choice.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Personal preference, but if I got a plastic pistol that would be it. And I prefer .45, got rid of my 9mm's. That said, if you like the 1911 then Springfield is about to release a carry version of the Range Officer called the RO Compact. That might well be my next handgun purchase...

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Back when I bought the XD I thought it was great. XD was just coming out, but you didn't gain much of anything in the 45 between the two of them. They are what they are.

If I were to run out and buy one today, I'd seriously consider the G41. Being a 1911 or nothing kind of guy, the new Glock actually appeals to me. Long slide, thinner, lighter and a predictable trigger with a short reset. I'd probably like the the G41 a lot more than my XD.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I run the 4.5 XDM in .40 and I love it. The girlfriend even shoots it better than her HK P30L 9mm. However the 4.5 is a bit large for EDC purposes so I picked up the XDs 45 and like somebody mentioned early Springfield just fired up its Gear up promotion, great way to get extra mags.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Received one three years ago today as gift from my best friend. I like it. I carried a 1911 for two years in the service. Feels good in the hand and It shoots when you want and won't when you don't want. I would like to try the new .45 single stack 3"M.

The trigger is what it is. Safe. I saw a lot of accidental discharges in that two years.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I need a relatively inexpensive, reliable and light .45 for my grab'n go bag. My choices were between this and the M&P. (I have a M&P .40). Still undecided. I have a HK USPC in .45 and I really like it, too, but it hangs out in the safe for occasional carry. I prefer a full size for my bag since I'm not trying to conceal it.
Decisions decisions.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've had the bi-tone XDM .45 in 4.5 for a couple of years now, and love it. The wife shoots it too, and likes it better than my 1911. It has a similar feel to the 1911 to me, compared to other platforms. Which is fine since I've been shooting a 1911 since '83, and have become used to the point-ability of it. The thing the wife and I both noticed is that it seems to have a slightly "softer" recoil impulse compared to the 1911. And it doesn't "bite" the web of the hand on her like the 1911.
The gun shoots a variety of different ammo without any problems. And the accuracy is on par with a lot of other guns in the marketplace, if not better IMHO. The trigger is fine with me, but have been looking at either the Powder River or Springer Precision upgrades to make it a little sweeter.
I have a XD sub-compact in .40 for a CCH and the ergonomics are similar, but the triggers do have distinctly different "feels" to them, not much but it's there. If you aren't committed to the M look at the standard or tactical XD's, they are good to go.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I went out today and fondled some xdm's and 1911's side by side. I can't not buy another 1911. It just feels like they are made for my hand. SO now I'm back to deciding which one I want. Someone in a different post showed a picture of the sig sauer nightmare---whoooooa :) I really like the way they look. Anyone shot one? They had some tac ops and they seemed quite well built. However they do have the SS springfield mil specs right now with 3 magazines for 598. Best price on the Nightmare 805.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I have shot on multiple occasions different Sig Scorpions. Kind of weird with flat triggers, but one hole groups all day long. At least at 10yards. Out to 25 yards about inside a 3" target for me. Seriously a nice 1911.

But there is a down side. External extractors are not something that can be easily or quick changed out in a pinch. In my bag I have a tuned extractor for my Colt for the what if scenario. Pretty darn easy to change out. Tactically speaking the original design is better for problems that might occur in the field.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have shot on multiple occasions different Sig Scorpions. Kind of weird with flat triggers, but one hole groups all day long. At least at 10yards. Out to 25 yards about inside a 3" target for me. Seriously a nice 1911.

But there is a down side. External extractors are not something that can be easily or quick changed out in a pinch. In my bag I have a tuned extractor for my Colt for the what if scenario. Pretty darn easy to change out. Tactically speaking the original design is better for problems that might occur in the field.
The sigs look like the Ducati of 1911's The difference in styling is subtle but creates line that are an absolute thing of beauty. If they perform as well as they look I think I will get one.--I have other guns that can be my "old reliable" and I don't intend on being "out in the field"
Thanks for your response

·
Registered
77 Posts
I had an XD45 compact for a while that I carried. The XDm made some improvements upon the XD45, the biggest one probably being the extending of the underside of the slide. Some XD45s wouldn't fully cover the rear of the case head by the breechface and the little edge of the cartridge that overhung the bottom of the slide could get caught up on the next round in the mag and damage it. Some were so bad it would tear up the next case and then induce a stoppage. That is why the XD45 never liked SWCs.

The XDm45 subtly added the little extension. When I had mine I enjoyed it. After prolonged range sessions the trigger face could get uncomfortable. For carry it was pretty wide.

Biggest thing I found with the XD was getting +5 or +10 power springs as the springs came from the factory a little weak and I saw some malfunctions that could be attributed to weak springs.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts