M14 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I sent in my brand new (5 day old) SAI National Match for a handful of issues, both functional and cosmetic (since I bought this new at new premium). I talked to them today for status and it was ‘done’, but am kinda scratching my head on a couple of the responses to issues. Would like to solicit some input while I mull over if these are acceptable or not. My inclination is that a couple of them don’t seem reasonable. Maybe I was expecting to much based on my hearing some stories of how well they service their customers.

First functional issue, bedding was done so that action is not square in receiver. Can see and measure height differences in bedding thickness from side to side between receiver and stock, and trigger housing tangs and bottom of stock. Appears that there is a lot of build increasing draw pressure to unacceptable levels (beyond spec Gus gave for lockup measurements by approx .030).
SAI response – Bedding creates optical illusions that make things look uneven or tilted (hey its all in your mind). Lockup resolved be new trigger guard.
My response – I verified with feeler gauge and calipers.

Now the list of other items I believe related to this, from the lock-up to getting some rub between the op rod and handguard when it was going into battery. There was a huge gap on the left side between the guard and stock. As that was the direction of the receiver tilt (versus SAI reported optical illusion) it seem to make some sense.
SAI response – new handguard

Barrel gage 0 TE and 2 ME. My gauges match CMP’s and my other SAI standard read 0 and loaded stainless 1.
SAI response – Our gauge reads 1 which is what their stainless measure at when new (your gauge is wrong).
Note: I would be OK with 1

Cosmetic – Receive had 3 areas where bedding was left on receiver and left permanent markings and small ding or area where its thru finish (or park did not take). Now if I got this used as a nice discount off new, no bid deal, but since it was going back to SAI I expected it to be addressed.
SAI response – Receiver was re-phosphated
My response – how was that done, was it just touched up?
SAI response – pause….no, entire receiver

That list bit struck me odd. I asked would this not require full disassembly as it’s a hot bath. They said yes. But it did not seem totally confident that was the approach taken. I had indicated in my letter on send in that refinishing was not an option in my mind, I wanted a factory commercial production finish (not spotted or out of a bottle).

Overall I got the impression was that they just kind of minimized or disregarded some of this. In my head I was almost wondering if a new one was the way to go (since it was brand new and had some QC issues). But I didn’t ask that at that time, I was just kina process them telling my I was seeing things, my calipers and all my gauges are wrong or defective.

Keep in mind, my perspective or expectations is buying new at a premium versus used and expecting a new gun in return for a use one (as some have abused on the warranty).

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have a different take. I like a pretty gun as much as the next guy but I shoot my M1As in competition and because of that it's not uncommon for them to show some battle damage. I'm pretty careful but it's not uncommon for someone elses brass to use my gun as a cartridge catcher. So my gun is going to show some use over time.
The proof for me is the shooting. If it shoots good, I don't care what it took to get there. But no mater what Springfield will take care of you. Wait until you see the gun and then see if it is satisfactory.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
How was it grouping during that 5 day period that you had it? How many rounds did you send downrange? What during shooting made you suspect the bedding and draw pressure?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeh, Russ, will have to see how it is when it gets back to make any final judgements.

Neil,, no worries I expected that. Not everyone buys new or holds manufacturers to standards. My take is if its your money, you can decide what is OK.

New in my opinion is not if it just goes bang. First step is disassemble and grease/lube and inspect. In doing that upfront maintenance you see a receiver tilted in a stock cant pull up the trigger guard with reasonable pressure when you go to grease it, its not exactly putting rockets on the moon to know there is a problem. I have had more than few to know what proper draw is like. Receivers are not suppose to square and put equal pressure to both sides. You should read Mr Wolfe's posts about rifle beddng.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts