M14 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Springfield M1A, but the trigger has no markings on it anywhere! Does anyone know whats the story with it?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Mine has no visible markings either. I have been told the SAI trigger groups have to be disassembled to find the markings.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought it new and as I read more and look for upgrades and all I see other groups with mfg. markings on the hammer and housings so naturally im wondering if things are going cheap/china god forbid?

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
Triggers

None iof the USGI manufactured triggers had the makers name on them,you could tell the HRA by the thin profile and some of the SA had a casting # on the lower portion

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I wonder if I can purchase the parts and assemble some with American made components? Did they all have matching parts numbers housing, hammer?

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Well I wonder if I can purchase the parts and assemble some with American made components? Did they all have matching parts numbers housing, hammer?
Just keep an eye out in the PX section of this website for a whole trigger group or parts if you want to change it out. You can also probably sell your SAI trigger group on here to offset the cost as well.

Unless you are recreating a certain makers rifle as close as you can it isn't really important that all the parts in the trigger group are correct. The two most important things to consider, are the parts USGI, and are they in good condition.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
If the trigger group that came with your rifle has a SAI hammer I'd replace it with a U.S. Rifle M14 or M1 hammer. That MIM part would be the likeliest to fail in service ahead of anything else. Otherwise I'd just shoot it and not spend any more $$$ on it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I do not know what kind of hammer it has. It like the rest of the piece has no markings on it, upon inspection I have noticed burrs on the underside of the hammer where it contacts the trigger which causes a drag point and it does not seat properly.

·
Registered
66 Posts
From my experience, my SA M1A trigger group was all mims (casted) parts. Like yours, mine did the same thing, when looking at the hammer, it would cant to one side as the hammer engaged the sear. It was also deforming do to the fact it was not the right hardness. In the end I bought an entire USGI trigger group from LRB. It has none of the aforementioned ailments and a nice clean trigger pull.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm sure I am going to do the same thing. I don't feel happy about this trigger for the amount of money I paid for this rifle, SAI should in my opinion use quality parts and not cheap out! I do know for my next one I will hand choose all parts going into the build.

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
I'm sure I am going to do the same thing. I don't feel happy about this trigger for the amount of money I paid for this rifle, SAI should in my opinion use quality parts and not cheap out! I do know for my next one I will hand choose all parts going into the build.
August, please slow down a little bit. When you start reading you're going to find out about all kinds of things you can do do your new rifle, few are a necessity. Have you even shot it yet?

Give your rifle a really good cleaning then grease it. Go shoot a couple of hundred rounds to loosen it up. I think you'll find everything works fine. If you choose to change some parts for USGI be careful! There's plenty of worn parts that have been reparked to look like new. I'd much rather have new good parts, with a lifetime warranty, than worn out USGI in my rifle. I don't think Springfield "cheaped out", I think they can no longer source quantities of good USGI parts like they did years ago. If you are dead set on buying USGI parts then I'd sure suggest using one of the forum sponsors or the PX here. That will be your best insurance for getting your money's worth.

But for now, why not go shoot it and enjoy it? GI2

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
ok lol I do get a lil excited sometimes!
All of us do with a new rifle, you're not the only one! GI2
Put a few hundred rounds down range, do a lot of reading here and you'll be ready to decide how to "personalize" your rifle.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts