M14 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,
This is my second thread and my last (for a while) as I'll be deployed soon.
On my predeployment leave, I did not have time to get a new stock for my Socom 16 so I just modded the cheapo synthetic.

I wanted more rigidity and a rougher texture. Simple enough.

I also did not document this project thoroughly so forgive me. The pics are post-completion.

I layered the synthetic stock with truck bed liner bought at Lowe's Hardware, 2 layers brushed on thick, and 2 layers rolled on with a thick nap for texture. The end result was great. Rigidity is increased slightly and texture is there too.

I finished with a coat of OD green krylon... this is where I messed up. The humidity in my area was too high and the paint became too taccy. This messed up the feel of the truck bed liner to the point I almost gave up.

Then I remembered I had a soldering iron and several Glocks that I stippled myself. So I did the same on the most contacted surfaces of the stock. Now I couldn't be happier.

And I had to sand down the cheek rest since it was so rough.

PICS!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey,
thanks for the comments everyone.

The bedliner is NOT the same as spray-on and is sold in quarts for about 15-17$.
The biggest difference I've noticed is the lack of some seriously harmful chemicals. (it smells different.. not too scientific but there's a difference)
As far as durability, I've used it on my own truck to touch up a spray-on liner over a 18 months ago. Still going strong, not garage kept either.

As for taping off the stock, I did not. I didn't roll the inside with the liner. I did get overspray from the krylon inside but it scratched off as soon as I slid the receiver in. Still a tight fit.

And no 5rnd mags here!

Thanks again.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh, and it shoots really well too. 4" groups (5 and 10 round groups at that) with irons, Lake City surplus ammo, using a backpack as my forend rest.

Fulton Armory NM piston/spring guide I installed didn't improve accuracy but I didn't shoot any match ammo either... I'll probably keep the piston and guide as spares.

I have another extractor/ejector/plunger kit too since SA doesn't have the best record in that area.

I plan on getting the Hopco mount for my Trijicon RMR and using this rifle for everything. It's so handy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts