M14 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,
This is my second thread and my last (for a while) as I'll be deployed soon.
On my predeployment leave, I did not have time to get a new stock for my Socom 16 so I just modded the cheapo synthetic.

I wanted more rigidity and a rougher texture. Simple enough.

I also did not document this project thoroughly so forgive me. The pics are post-completion.

I layered the synthetic stock with truck bed liner bought at Lowe's Hardware, 2 layers brushed on thick, and 2 layers rolled on with a thick nap for texture. The end result was great. Rigidity is increased slightly and texture is there too.

I finished with a coat of OD green krylon... this is where I messed up. The humidity in my area was too high and the paint became too taccy. This messed up the feel of the truck bed liner to the point I almost gave up.

Then I remembered I had a soldering iron and several Glocks that I stippled myself. So I did the same on the most contacted surfaces of the stock. Now I couldn't be happier.

And I had to sand down the cheek rest since it was so rough.

PICS!

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Nice!
Did you tape off the interior and areas where the receiver and trigger group contact? Reason I ask is because the SAI synthetic stocks are super tight fits. Every single one I have painted has caused such a tight trigger group lockup that a magazine will not insert or function reliably.

If you haven't checked it, might want to! GI1

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
Nice!
Did you tape off the interior and areas where the receiver and trigger group contact? Reason I ask is because the SAI synthetic stocks are super tight fits. Every single one I have painted has caused such a tight trigger group lockup that a magazine will not insert or function reliably.

If you haven't check it, might want to! GI1
Check out the last photo of the whole rifle

BTW OP it looks good, the first decent looking synthetic I've seen.

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
I misunderstood your post .

·
Premium Member
4,842 Posts
Thank you for your service and God's speed on your deployment..... May our Lord bless and keep you and all your companions safe.

That is a great idea about the bed liner. I guess I have had my head under a rock as I did not realize it could be bought at Lowe's............
Is the bed liner sold by the gallon basically the same as an auto shop would spray on???

Great looking job on the stock......

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Thank you for your service and God's speed on your deployment..... May our Lord bless and keep you and all your companions safe.
Yea what he said!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey,
thanks for the comments everyone.

The bedliner is NOT the same as spray-on and is sold in quarts for about 15-17$.
The biggest difference I've noticed is the lack of some seriously harmful chemicals. (it smells different.. not too scientific but there's a difference)
As far as durability, I've used it on my own truck to touch up a spray-on liner over a 18 months ago. Still going strong, not garage kept either.

As for taping off the stock, I did not. I didn't roll the inside with the liner. I did get overspray from the krylon inside but it scratched off as soon as I slid the receiver in. Still a tight fit.

And no 5rnd mags here!

Thanks again.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Nice job! If I ever go back to the synthetic stock (mine is Troy equipped) I will be looking to do something like that.

May your fire be rapid, and your aim be true! May God bless you, and protect you and your team! Thank you for your service Bro.!!!!!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh, and it shoots really well too. 4" groups (5 and 10 round groups at that) with irons, Lake City surplus ammo, using a backpack as my forend rest.

Fulton Armory NM piston/spring guide I installed didn't improve accuracy but I didn't shoot any match ammo either... I'll probably keep the piston and guide as spares.

I have another extractor/ejector/plunger kit too since SA doesn't have the best record in that area.

I plan on getting the Hopco mount for my Trijicon RMR and using this rifle for everything. It's so handy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts