M14 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Awhile back I posted for opinions on a SA Super Match camo. After some consideration I decided to go with a SA instead of having one built by (pick your favorite place).... Well....
I called a few distributors and found one, sent money, and yesterday I recieved a my rifle. I open the plastic hard case and found my worst nightmare. The rifle looked awful! The camo pattern was shoty and smudged looking. There was glass bedding finger prints in several locations and hunks of bedding missing around the receiver ! Closer inspection found deep scratches in the stock near the receiver area. The flash suppressor had pits in it and a large chunk missing on the under side.
I was livid ! This is their top of the line service rifle? :evil: Today...after I calmed down a call was placed to SA. I spoke to the customer service supervisor and here is the short version.
They want the rifle sent in for inspection and will take care of the shipping. The lady wanted me to write a letter and send with the rifle with what was wrong and she said she was taking notes as well. :roll: She could not believe the rifle was in that shape, and would personally get involved with the matter. Turn around time would be ASAP. She had no explaination for why the rifle was ever shipped, and was eager to get the inspection tag to find out who last handled the rifle.
This is my first bad experience with SA and it doesn't help its on a high price tag item. :(

Edited to try and fix spelling....

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Sorry to hear such a thing could possibly happen and what this sounds like to me is that they sent you a weapon that belonged to someone else that was sent in for reapirs or whatever .....

By the descrition you gave it sure sounds like this is a used weapon that belonged to someone else and "possibly" .....

Notice I said possibly .....

Someone may have fouled up and packed the wrong weapon or grabbed the wrong box .....

Camo?

I know that the new Bush rifles come with a camo stock but not sure about others .....

At the very least they are quick to take care of your problem and very well they should. They generally have a good rep as far as making amends and I'd be willing to bet that you get a "for sure newbie" upon the return flight.

Frustrating and an extreme inconvenience indeed but hang in there as I am sure that this matter will definately be rectified .....

Keep us posted ...

Six

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Aloha CR:

Wow, when I read your post, 8O 8O 8O was my only response!!! That is incredible. It does sound like SA has immediately picked up on this and trying to make it right, so that is a plus. Of course, most would say "why did this piece get sent out in the first place"... well, it seems it's a mystery to SA as well. I hope they can get to the bottom of what happened.

Sounds like your SM came with a McMillan stock with a Camo finish... and technically, the bedding is supposed to be flawless on that model of rifle.

I couldn't afford a McMillan, but I went the next best thing for one of my SM rifles, I sent to SixT for a custom "camo" job on a super robust stock!!!

Good Luck on your SM and keep us posted. Let us know if we can help any...

Aloha and Best Wishes,

Tom O.

·
Registered
498 Posts
C.R.
Sorry to hear of your problems with your new Super Match. Most of what you described should not have been but the paint jobs on the McMillan stock might be normal :? . The paint looks like it was applied by someone with a paint brush. Take a look at the photos on my site of my Smith M14 in McMillan Marine Camo http://msgt-maze.com/SmithForgedM14NM.html

I just sent this Stock to McMillan to have their Custom Woodland Camo paint job applied to it. http://msgt-maze.com/SmithM14.html This one is in Dark Camo.

I hope SpringField makes it right for you.

Greg

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
CR,
I wonder who got the rifle you were suppose to get?

Regards

Ox

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MsgtMaze, Your rifle certainly looks better than the one I recieved. I really like the new paint job ! I think this was answered before but does the ARMS #18 block the iron sites?

Thanks for all the encouragement :)

·
Registered
498 Posts
C.R. said:
MsgtMaze, Your rifle certainly looks better than the one I recieved. I really like the new paint job ! I think this was answered before but does the ARMS #18 block the iron sites?

Thanks for all the encouragement :)
It doesn't when you remove the scope. With the scope removed you won't notice the mount is there.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Maze, on your camo paint, did you get the paint or did you get the molded in colors?
The reason I'm asking is because I got the molded in colors, and I never thought they looked odd like they were painted on.
But looking at those pics, I think there's more "definition" between colors on yours than mine. Might be because mine is in the desert camo instead of woodland, don't know.
Still, one way or another, Mac makes some great stocks!
-Bravo

·
Registered
498 Posts
Anonymous said:
Maze, on your camo paint, did you get the paint or did you get the molded in colors?
The reason I'm asking is because I got the molded in colors, and I never thought they looked odd like they were painted on.
But looking at those pics, I think there's more "definition" between colors on yours than mine. Might be because mine is in the desert camo instead of woodland, don't know.
Still, one way or another, Mac makes some great stocks!
-Bravo

Bravo,

It was the standard marine camo form McMillan that they put on all Springfield Camo Super Matches. The paint doesn't look molded in to me? 8O

Any way, I much prefer the Custom Camo paint on my other M14.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update..... I FINALLY got to speak with Dale Rader, head of the custom shop about the rifle. He took a look at it and agreed the whole stock will be replaced and bedded by him personally. The flash suppressor will also be replaced. :D I also asked him if he would touch up a few other things on the rifle while he had it and he said he " no problem " . The only down side is the whole rifle shop is going to Camp Perry next week and it is looking like the end of the month before I will get the rifle returned. :roll:

The ladies in customer service I spoke to were very helpful, however I didn't get the answers I was looking for until I pressed them to put me through to Mr. Rader. Overall I can't complain. The ladies up front try to field the calls so the guys actually working on the guns don't get interupted. The only problem is that sometimes things get lost in translation.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'mm shocked they just don't send you another one from inventory (after checking it of course). Surely they have another aupermatch with camo stock. If not they shoudl arrange the distributer to do so if he has one. I would hold them to an immediate resolution. If you had shot it I can understand getting yours back, but if unfired they should send a perfect replacement immediately.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts