M14 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scouts come in black, camo, green and wood, advantage or disadvantage of the different stocks?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Wood is good for a traditional M14. The rest of the synthetic stocks have color choices based on the terrain you'll be hunting or operating in.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have heard the synthetic stocks on Springfield's make the rifle less accurate due to them flexing? True?

Can the wood stocks take the elements?

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
I have heard the synthetic stocks on Springfield's make the rifle less accurate due to them flexing? True?

Can the wood stocks take the elements?
No they can not take the elements as well as the GI fiberglass stock. The lousy hot, rainy weather the jungles in the Nam was the main reason they came up with the fiberglass stocks in the first place.

7th

·
Registered
467 Posts
However, the chances of any of us being out in the elements, to THAT extreme, are pretty remote. Face it, we're essentially wimps, and enjoy our AC.

That said, YES, the SAI synthetic stocks are a bit light in the foregrips, and are subject to some flexing... which means a bit less accuracy. Several folks on the boards do work related to stiffening them up. I handled one today which had been very professionally done, and it was a dramatic improvement.

So, while wood may swell in the summer, and could feasibly impinge on some moving parts of the rifle, the chances of that are rather low. Out of the box the SAI stock is good, but can be made better.

In the end it gets down to what you want to do with the rifle, what you want to spend, and what your tastes are.

BTW, remember that these rifles can outshoot most of us right out of the box. Spending a lot on accurizing the gun is best done AFTER you're shot it multiple times, and have determined that accurizing is warranted.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I think if I were to get another Scout and had decided to stick with the factory stock, I would try one of their syn camo stocks. They come with a rubber buttpad, look good, are durable, and will certainly outshoot me, all else being equal.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
I'd start with wood. It'll be lots less expensive to buy a synthetic as a spare if you decide you want it than it will be to start synthetic and buy the wood as a spare. The cost difference for wood at my dealer is only $100 more on the complete rifle. Or look around for a GI stock, you should be able to find a nice one for less than a Springfield wood although the Springfields are usually VERY nicely done.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Get the wood and then look around for a GI fiberglass stock. I found a really nice one with all the metal for $80.00 dollars. Just watch the Sales Forum. But be warned, that secound stock will lead to another rifle!GI3

·
Registered
67 Posts
+ 1 on syn stock. You can pick a color, and if needed camo it with tape or paint.

sneaker

1 - 11 of 11 Posts