M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like I should start with an apology - I bet this has been beat to death, but a search or (SA - SA Scope - Sprinfgfield) brought nothing, I din't know where else to go.

I bought a Springfield 4 - 14 x 56 Scope last week. It was just too good of a price. I did not know at the time I bought it if it had a lighted reticle that worked, and sure enough, it doesn't. I absolutely love the optic, the quality is excellent, great light gathering and crystal clear. Not since my great Uncle Sam see the world vacation have I looked through such a scope, much less OWNED one! IF I cannot ever make the reticle light properly, then I'm still happy to have it. Having said that;

Let me get this straight. I have this rifle scope. It's not a cheap scope, they sell on Ebay right now for around $850.00. Springfield no longer does their own repairs, they have farmed it out to another company called ABO,inc.

If I send $65.00 in when I ship them the scope (my expense too) they will look it over. They might be able to fix it for that, or they will send it back, or they will dispose of it for me for a nominal charge. Or, they may ask for more money. $65 just sounded like a nice round number to ask for.

Too bad Springfield doesn't do business like Dillon does. They don't care who bought it or what's wrong, they just make it right. This sounds like yet another reason Springfield Armory has withdrawn from the optics business.

Do I have any other options here? I relly like this scope but the reticle no longer lights as it should. Happens to be a big deal to me. Do you have any experience with either this scope, this company, or have any CONSTRUCTIVE ideas about where I can go now? Is there somebody else I may trust to fix this scope?

I really appreciate ANY advice you have. I am keeping the scope, and will almost certainly mount it on my M14 (Polytech) that I really, really like.

Thanks,

Bill

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
In 2009 I bought a SAI scope 6-20x56 govt model, came on a loaded SAI I bought used, You guessed it, the rheostat for the lighted optic was broken, I called Springfield armory, they gave me a return number, I sent it to them and it came back fixed, no charge.
I don't know why they are charging you but I sure like my scope. It would drive me nuts to have a scope with a broken something on it.
If your not going to fix it sell it and get a Leupold or something, my Leupold mark 4 has better optics then my SAI.
Just my .02

·
Registered
66 Posts
springfield 6x40 needs repair

I kind of went through the same thing with a Springfield 6x40 scope. The rectical has rotated. Springfield gave me the number to ABO and they told me the same $65.00 thing. Springfield won't honor the warranty because I don't have the original purchase reciept. That was almost 20 years ago that I bought it. I ordered a swfa ss as I was not confident it could be fixed and stay fixed from what I have seen from coments on this forum. I might still send it for repair and take my chances as I do like the scope.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Keep in mind that Springfield Armory didn't make their own scopes. They were made by Hakko in Japan, which went out of business a couple of years ago. The former Hakko company is now part of: http://www.japanoptics.co.jp/html/products.htm

You might try contacting them about service.
Thanks a lot. Certainly the best idea so far - I really do like this sucker, and can't believe they would be so uncaring! I understand they don't make it, and did not. Having said that, they ALLOWED it to carry the Springfield name! I an really disappointed in them. I AM going to try Hakko.....

Bill

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Final (?) note: I sent an email to Hakko Optics on the 19th. As of today (9-4-) I have received no response. Weighing my options....

Bill

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
17,664 Posts
If you really love the optic and its in great shape, you could just keep using it with no illuminated reticle while you do some more research. It may be worth the $65 to ABO to try and fix it if you like it that much, it will cost you more to sell this one and replace it. I have two GEN 1 4-14x56 non illuminated scopes, they're not bad but I agree with six clicks, my Leupold Mk 4 has clearer glass as well.
m14brian

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
What's $65 to look over and maybe repair a scope that you love? Nothing, compared to a $1000 dollar scope. I'd send it in and get it fixed, then sell it if you don't like it later, will be worth more fixed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What's $65 to look over and maybe repair a scope that you love? Nothing, compared to a $1000 dollar scope. I'd send it in and get it fixed, then sell it if you don't like it later, will be worth more fixed.
You're probably right. I got a bad vibe from them, they said they'll look at it for 65, fix it if they can but it may cost more, or TRASH it for me for only a 10 dollar charge! Silly, yes. You're right, 6 clicks - I like it, I need to send it in. I'm gonna do it, and I'll report later as to the outcome. Thanks, All, for helping me to 'jell' my thoughts.

Bill

1 - 9 of 9 Posts