M14 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With in the last year and a half I purchased two nm springfield m1a's. One has a green synthetic stock and the other a wood stock. (one for me and the wife) I had the chance to shoot the synthetic stock version several months ago and absolutely loved it. I haven't had the chance to shoot the one with the wood stock yet as work demands and family demands have taken most of my free time. After shooting this m1a I decided to take the plunge and by a stripped LRB receiver to have built as funds allow.

After I received my LRB I field stripped my 2 m1a's to compare the recievers to the LRB. I became alarmed a little bit after examining the springfield m1a with the wood stock. The thin section behind the bolt stop was noticeably thinner than the other two receivers. This section of the receiver behind the bolt stop measured .045 compared with my other springfield m1a which measures .094 and the LRB which measured .109 with my mitutoyo digital calipers.

So my question is should I be worried because it is so thin in this area?

I haven't been able to find a set of prints that I can read to compare it too. My digital camera is down so I can't take any pictures.

This is not an attempt to bash on Springfield I just want to know if maybe I got a bad receiver and what I should do about it. I probably would never have noticed If I hadn't of bought the LRB.

I am concerned because as soon as my work pressures ease up I plan to shoot this rifle a ton!

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Nope. You should be GTG. SAI turns out a pretty good receiver.

But get out and shoot that thing!

·
MGySgt USMC (ret)
7,066 Posts
I have built one and know of three other SAinc. receivers that were thin in this area of the receiver. I admit I was a bit concerned about how thin they were in this area, but there is virtually no stress there. None have proven to be a problem. I have another one I'm going to build and I'm not worrying about it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Gus
At least I am not the only one. Bothers me that its that way
Dang OCD. Guess I got to live with it.

Anyway anybody know where I can buy a set of m14 receiver
Blueprints for reference purposes. I have found several online
But I can`t enlarge them enough to read without becoming blurry.

Thanks selfsanta1

1 - 4 of 4 Posts