M14 Forum banner

Springfield M1A's in military service??!!

8035 Views 31 Replies 24 Participants Last post by  Philz M1A
On another forum I frequent, a gent mentioned that; "Springfield Armory's Customer Service claims that they in fact sell their M1As to Special Ops units of both the Marines and the Army. I called them this morning on another question and that's what she told me."

I have never heard of such a thing. When I asked if he meant old USGI Springfield Armory he replied he did mean SAI. Any thoughts on this?
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
1,010 Posts
Sai's junk would never meet government standards. They may sell some accesories but not rifles. Imo

· Super Moderator
12,483 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, there are only 10 SAI rifles in service with the military. These were custom built by an unknown builder and then rebuilt by Art Luppino when they failed to perform for the unit that was testing them. This all happened before the introduction of the SOCOM. I'll look for links to previous discussions.

Tony.

Updated quote from a thread in 2007...
In the 1980's I built 10 M1A's, all double lug match grade rifles, for U.S. Navy Seal Team 3. The Bill was paid via U.S. Dept. Of Defense. I do not know if they were ever used in sercice.
http://m14forum.com/m14/47511-m1a-service.html

It's also mentioned that it is possible that individual contractors could be using M1A's "over there". So in a sense, sure some M1A's may be seeing battle in one sense.

· Registered
1,576 Posts
Sai's junk would never meet government standards. They may sell some accesories but not rifles. Imo
You guys crack me up...

· Registered
5,756 Posts
Thanks all. I didn't think there was truth to the claim of them currently making rifles for the Marines, etc.
It'd be a huge surprise for our U.S. military to let us in on the details of these kinds of small procurements. Even members of Congress have a hard time getting info, usually have to work the grapevine until they can ID and call a particular DOD employee who knows.

I've heard and read over the years that USDOD in fact did and does make purchases from SAI from time to time. Whether these have been for rifles, pistols, or spare parts I don't know. But I'd have no reason to think the CS lady at SAI was fibbing.

· Registered
1,506 Posts
It probably wasn't official contract, ask what the "NSN" number for the contract was.

That said. Units have a certain amount of discretionary spending they are allowed for a deployment to fill holes in what the unit sees as a emergency need. Some INDIVIDUAL UNITS i have read when deploying to Iraqistan or Asscrackistan had bought some M1A'S on their own when there weren't enough original M-14's to be handed out. This is NOT the same thing as "official issue".

Reactions: Gus Fisher

· Registered
874 Posts
there was one military contract I am aware of, but it wasn't US....

IDF038 now resides with me. It is not a military contract rifle or receiver from any country. It was a limited production run made by SAI for commercial sales. They used USGI parts that had been imported back from Israel.

· Registered
2,026 Posts
It'd be a huge surprise for our U.S. military to let us in on the details of these kinds of small procurements. Even members of Congress have a hard time getting info, usually have to work the grapevine until they can ID and call a particular DOD employee who knows.

I've heard and read over the years that USDOD in fact did and does make purchases from SAI from time to time. Whether these have been for rifles, pistols, or spare parts I don't know. But I'd have no reason to think the CS lady at SAI was fibbing.
Even members of Congress... who cannot pass national security screening for a basic Q Clearance! You would be amazed at how poorly Congressional people fair with background security checks. Kills the "Need to Know" issue at the seed.

· MGySgt USMC (ret)
7,047 Posts
I'm too old, too fat, too out of shape and too broken down to go back into combat. However, if I had had the choice of my Walter Mitty rifle with an SAinc receiver over an issued M16A2 back when I was on active duty, there is no doubt I would have chosen the Walter Mitty rifle with the SAinc receiver.

Of course, they don't ALLOW you to carry a personally owned firearm in a combat or operational zone since at least the deployment to Mogadishu, Somalia in the early 90's. I know because I wanted to take my personally customized Combat Commander for which I had both .45 and 9mm conversion kits I installed and the mags to go with them.

· Registered
170 Posts
IDF038 now resides with me. It is not a military contract rifle or receiver from any country. It was a limited production run made by SAI for commercial sales. They used USGI parts that had been imported back from Israel.
...oh, those tricky little marketing bastids... my mistake. thanks for clearing that up...

· Registered
3,593 Posts
If you knew his background/credentials I think you would probably just agree with him :)
ive yet to have a problem with mine. Please educate me then, because im always willing to learn. Every company has their lemons, but if they were half as bad as some people say, they would be out of business i think...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.