M14 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help, I need some....
Just bought NIB MA9226. Went to the range with it, shot about 50 rounds thru it. During the strip down for cleaning I noticed that the op rod is striking the front of the receiver and is causing a peening effect on op rod at the point where the rod curves around to the outside of the receiver.
Question is... is this normal or not?
As I understand it the bolt recoil is stopped by the bolt striking the rear of the receiver thereby stopping the op rod from moving rearward and it shouldnt be hitting the receiver.
Let me know if Im wrong and is there something wrong with my NEW rifle.
Thanks

·
Registered
57 Posts
i would have to honestly say that doesnt sound right, springfield has an excellent service and warranty department, you may have to call them. If possible pictures of the affected areas would help the true experts on here see and advise further. But having said that i would definitely call springfield.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Mine had the same peening you're talking about. It was very slight, so I just filed it back bit by bit until it wasn't rubbing, then put some cold blue on it. It really wasn't that much material that was removed. I assume this would be the same solution Springfield would do since presumably all their op-rods are the same.

·
Registered
902 Posts
If you are talking about a small peen on the op rod caused by the upper forward edge of the right receiver op rod rail, that would be normal for a SAI receiver, a small amouint of material removal from the op rod rail, and dressing the burr on the op rod and some cold blue cures this.

Some pictures would be nice.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Sounds like the normal issue with SAI. File, polish, shoot and smile.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Never seen one that didn't do it...Let it go for a hundred rounds, clean it up with a small file and cold blue. Enjoy the rifle!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow!!!
Many thanks for all the quick replies and remedies.
Since I am a left handed shooter my concern was with the op rod breaking and me getting to see the end of it Realllllll close.
Just to be extra safe I think Ill call SAI on Tuesday about this issue. Hopefully their answer will be the same as was posted here.

Again many thanks

·
Registered
637 Posts
Mine did the same exact thing. I just filed it smooth and let it be.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts