M14 Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
My bet is this is a JRA reweld and should be marked somewhere underneath, or somewhere on the receiver.GI2 OP I would have the rifle removed from the stock and check for other markings before I gave up. If there are no other markings then I would run as fast as my legs will take me.

·
Registered
935 Posts
It's interesting that they make an exception for the M1A specifying late models. I assume they refer to the California compliant model. That would indicate that any similar model to the late style M1A would be legal in NJ. These types of laws are purposely vague so they can be interpreted any way they choose.
The later M1As don't necessarily have a flash suppressor or bayonet lug. These are two of the 5 listed criteria for New Jersey.

a folding or telescoping stock;
2. a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
3. a bayonet mount;
a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and
5. a grenade launcher;
From http://www.state.nj.us/lps/dcj/agguide/3assltf.pdf

California has a similar set of laws. There were 3 lists: Those banned by name (AR15 SP1), those that are AK or AR derivates and those that have evil features.

I don't think California ever considered the bayonet lug as an evil feature.

The M1A can skate if the flash suppressor is replaced by a muzzle brake. And don't even think about buying a pistol grip stock.

Richard

·
Registered
1,608 Posts

Here is the pic the guy sent me
We would need additional pictures to make an informed call on what that is. Merely going off of the heel stamp, it's a USGI M14 rifle, that would be a class 3 machine gun.

It could be a lot of things - it could be a properly welded semi-auto rifle, it could be an illegal machine gun.

Without additional pictures and information (how does the shop have the rifle logged?) we're just jumping to conclusions..

If it's a legal rifle (either Class 3 or semi-auto), I would love to own it. Please post additional details.

·
Super Moderator
2,211 Posts
My bet is this is a JRA reweld and should be marked somewhere underneath, or somewhere on the receiver.GI2 OP I would have the rifle removed from the stock and check for other markings before I gave up. If there are no other markings then I would run as fast as my legs will take me.
When I spoke to Mark and Jeff about the JRA rewelds they are adamant that in order to meet BATFE requirements, "James River Armory Baltimore, MD" had to be above the stock line.

OP has not provided that look, but mine looks like this:

·
Registered
121 Posts
If the receiver has the oprod takedown notch halfway in the track ala an M14 it is a problem.

Perhaps it is a Kelly reweld that escaped the great BATF roundup of several years ago.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Maybe this is one of those JRA welded receivers...
My first thought was that that would be an awfully quick turn-around time to see one pop up on the used market, especially since Springfield Armory heels were by special order with customer-provided heels.

Also, the claim that it was shot at Camp Perry also made me doubt there was enough time for this to be a JRA.

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
7,193 Posts

Here is the pic the guy sent me
That receiver was a Israeli return, see the engraved "0" on the left side of the heel, that was a mark they put on it. I saw a bunch of "saw cut" receiver halves years ago at a show, I think they came out of Canada, they had the FA tab cut off. I had a H&R match set I sold awhile back.

Casey

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.