M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after 3 1/2 months, I got my SA Champion back from the gunsmith.

Unfortunately, this photo is the only one I can find of it in it's original configuration.

here it is after Ed Vandenberg added a Beavertail, Night Sights, a Carry Bevel, and Parked it.

I picked her up on Saturday and took her to the range on sunday, it's like shooting a whole other pistol. It also doesn't cut up my holster like it used to with that nice carry bevel he did.

I'm happy with it.

·
Registered
7,081 Posts
A set of pachmayr wrap arounds would also accomplish the same at less cost with no further permanent modifications to the frame.
Not really, I used the Pachmayrs in the past, they really do not do a good job of substituting for good checkering. I acttually still have a set on a Colt Series 80 GM,they may be better than nothing but not much better.
Over the years I've evolved to preferring Checkered FS and MS Housing and Slim Grips.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Not really, I used ther Pachmayrs in the past, they really do not do a good job of substituting for good checkering.
they may better than nothing but not much better.
Okay. I value your opinion, however I'll just have to disagree. I own a commander size S&W E-series that came with checkering on the front strap and a bobtailed frame, I bought a set of pachmayr signatures for a friend's full size 1911. After shooting both, I'll be honest with you in that I preferred the grip of the pachmayr's.

Maybe it has something to do with the lines per inch of the checkering. I'm not sure of the lpi for my E-series, but I think I would prefer a more course grip.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice, however I would have had the front strap checkered while it was out. A good FS treatment makes a world of difference.
I asked about it, but he wanted another $200 for that, I still might get it done, but I don't know if I'll take it back to Ed for that, He does awesome work, but the "no time estimates" thing still kind of annoys me. I am probably going to be sending to SA Customs to have them do a bull barrel and FLFR conversion on it (Mine was made in 94, it's one of those ones with the slotted plug with a little notch on it), if I send it in to SA Customs for that, I will probably have them do the front strap at the same time, they said 4-5 weeks guaranteed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Good idea. I have had both types of recoil plug set ups. I hated the early style and like the second style much better.

+1 for front strap checking. Nothing makes a 1911 stick to you hand like front strap checkering. Don't get it too fine.

Champions are great! Heres one I used to own. Wished I had not sold it. Predictable regret.

·
Super Moderator
11,174 Posts
I asked about it, but he wanted another $200 for that, I still might get it done, but I don't know if I'll take it back to Ed for that, He does awesome work, but the "no time estimates" thing still kind of annoys me. I am probably going to be sending to SA Customs to have them do a bull barrel and FLFR conversion on it (Mine was made in 94, it's one of those ones with the slotted plug with a little notch on it), if I send it in to SA Customs for that, I will probably have them do the front strap at the same time, they said 4-5 weeks guaranteed.
SACS is the way too fly, please put the wood stocks back on?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.