M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after 3 1/2 months, I got my SA Champion back from the gunsmith.

Unfortunately, this photo is the only one I can find of it in it's original configuration.

here it is after Ed Vandenberg added a Beavertail, Night Sights, a Carry Bevel, and Parked it.

I picked her up on Saturday and took her to the range on sunday, it's like shooting a whole other pistol. It also doesn't cut up my holster like it used to with that nice carry bevel he did.

I'm happy with it.

·
Registered
7,072 Posts
Nice, however I would have had the front strap checkered while it was out. A good FS treatment makes a world of difference.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Nice, however I would have had the front strap checkered while it was out. A good FS treatment makes a world of difference.
A set of pachmayr wrap arounds would also accomplish the same at less cost with no further permanent modifications to the frame.

·
Registered
7,072 Posts
A set of pachmayr wrap arounds would also accomplish the same at less cost with no further permanent modifications to the frame.
Not really, I used the Pachmayrs in the past, they really do not do a good job of substituting for good checkering. I acttually still have a set on a Colt Series 80 GM,they may be better than nothing but not much better.
Over the years I've evolved to preferring Checkered FS and MS Housing and Slim Grips.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Not really, I used ther Pachmayrs in the past, they really do not do a good job of substituting for good checkering.
they may better than nothing but not much better.
Okay. I value your opinion, however I'll just have to disagree. I own a commander size S&W E-series that came with checkering on the front strap and a bobtailed frame, I bought a set of pachmayr signatures for a friend's full size 1911. After shooting both, I'll be honest with you in that I preferred the grip of the pachmayr's.

Maybe it has something to do with the lines per inch of the checkering. I'm not sure of the lpi for my E-series, but I think I would prefer a more course grip.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I asked about it, but he wanted another $200 for that, I still might get it done, but I don't know if I'll take it back to Ed for that, He does awesome work, but the "no time estimates" thing still kind of annoys me. I am probably going to be sending to SA Customs to have them do a bull barrel and FLFR conversion on it (Mine was made in 94, it's one of those ones with the slotted plug with a little notch on it), if I send it in to SA Customs for that, I will probably have them do the front strap at the same time, they said 4-5 weeks guaranteed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Good idea. I have had both types of recoil plug set ups. I hated the early style and like the second style much better.

+1 for front strap checking. Nothing makes a 1911 stick to you hand like front strap checkering. Don't get it too fine.

Champions are great! Heres one I used to own. Wished I had not sold it. Predictable regret.

·
Super Moderator
11,032 Posts
I asked about it, but he wanted another $200 for that, I still might get it done, but I don't know if I'll take it back to Ed for that, He does awesome work, but the "no time estimates" thing still kind of annoys me. I am probably going to be sending to SA Customs to have them do a bull barrel and FLFR conversion on it (Mine was made in 94, it's one of those ones with the slotted plug with a little notch on it), if I send it in to SA Customs for that, I will probably have them do the front strap at the same time, they said 4-5 weeks guaranteed.
SACS is the way too fly, please put the wood stocks back on?

·
Registered
7,072 Posts
Nah..get a set of VZ Double Diamonds for it.

Reactions: BeardedSapper

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nah..get a set of VZ Double Diamonds for it.
I am definitely going to go with VZs, It's a toss up between the Double Diamonds, the Operator IIs, and the Tactical Diamonds

mostly I'm leaning towards the Operators, but I love the classic look, so I feel obligated to want the Tactical Diamonds more.

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
16,429 Posts
I am definitely going to go with VZs
Outstanding choice. I have Recons and Operator IIs on my 1911s, VZs are the best in my opinion. Make sure you get real VZs, the copycats just aren't the same.
m14brian

Maybe this can help you decide.....

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
The thumb notch for the mag release is a great improvement IMHO.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts