M14 Forum banner

Springfield assembling my parts kit?

472 Views 11 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  sonvolt
There's an M1A for auction on Gunbroker and the seller says he had Springfield assemble the TRW parts he collected on a receiver, and then he "sent it to others for parkerizing" ...

Auction is: 968137458

Does this sound right? It's a 58,XXX receiver, or 1990. I've messaged him to inquire ... but does this sound right? Would (or did) Springfield ever assemble customer supplied parts kits on a receiver, and then allow someone else to parkerize the gun?

Just curious,
DeWayne
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
16,813 Posts
The SAI of the last century was substantially different from the SAI of this century. Back then they sold bare receivers, used parts from multiple sources and did a considerable amount of custom work. Anything is possible.

Call Customer Service with the serial number. See what info they can provide.

· Registered
8,286 Posts
There's an M1A for auction on Gunbroker and the seller says he had Springfield assemble the TRW parts he collected on a receiver, and then he "sent it to others for parkerizing" ...

Auction is: 968137458

Does this sound right? It's a 58,XXX receiver, or 1990. I've messaged him to inquire ... but does this sound right? Would (or did) Springfield ever assemble customer supplied parts kits on a receiver, and then allow someone else to parkerize the gun?

Just curious,
DeWayne
No it doesn’t sound right for that serial number range 058x should have different parts on it like HR bolt, Winchester op rod, TRW trigger housing etc. That serial number range never left the factory all matching. I’ve only heard of one person getting one that was all matching… It was common for the 1994 era 4 lines to leave with a matching bolt,barrel,op rod. I’ve seen at least a dozen. With box and papers.

I bet that rifle left as a receiver only and someone else made it all matching. As for his story on collecting the parts sure and the rifle was only shot once by a little old lady to right..The rifle he is selling does nothing for me. I wouldn’t touch it. But that is only my opinion.

· Registered
3,316 Posts
SAI has a custom shop but I am only personally aware of 1911’s being assembled by their custom shop. However, they might also assemble M1A’s. As already noted, if you seriously want to know it would be best to call SAI. That way you will know for sure.

· Registered
79 Posts
I LOOKED AT THIS AUCTION THIS MORNING. HIS "YEARS OF SEARCHING BEST GI STOCK AVAILABLE" IS DEFINITELY NOTHING SPECIAL EITHER. I'D CALL SAI.

Reactions: nf1e

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I may contact SAI and see. Contacted seller - he said he had a friend who was friends with the Reeses back in they day, and SAI assembled his collected TRW parts to a SAI receiver for him. I asked when this happened, and he thought "early 80s" but wasn't sure. That would pre-date the receiver, but it's possible his memory is off too. Just looking at what he's got though, a 58k receiver and all TRW parts, it's an attractive package.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts