M14 Forum banner

Springfield Armoury Muzzle Brake

3274 Views 22 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  Maggotman
Hey guys, what do you think of this brake? I had my Norinco barrel re-indexed at a clinic by M14Doc and now the flash suppressor leans over to the left.
Solution-new Flash suppressor or Muzzle brake. (partial to the later one)

Any advice?
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
1,423 Posts
Works like it should, but there are definitely better ones out there.

· Registered
28 Posts
Good Brake

I have used both the Norinco fake flash suppressor and the Springfield Armory muzzle brake and you will notice less recoil with the muzzle brake. The sound level will go up but as long as you have good hearing protection on it is fine. All the best.

Haakon

· Registered
1,633 Posts
You have 2 choices...

either re-align the old flash suppressor (a piece of drill rod or even a drill might do it if you don't have the tool) or get the California-approved MB. It's not a flash hider, therefore legal here and it is decently effective.

If you don't have to be in CA, re-align and re-tighten the old FS.

Bruce

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A new break or FH is not going to change the front sight from leaning over to the left. WHen he re indexed it he went a little to far. But I like the break!

What he did was he used the USGI flash suppressor, which was 100% up to specs, to index my barrell. Once it was all leveled he put my Chinese one back on. Now the USGI was straight on and the other isn't. Solution? Get a SA brake instead and shoot a few rounds into the old Flash Supp. DI2

· Registered
153 Posts
Why might that be?
Because they were designed solely to do the job of a muzzle brake. The SAI brake is to meet legal criteria asserted by gun laws in nanny states. My speculation would be (again, just my speculation) that the ones designed from the ground up to be effective recoil reducers, probably do the job a little better. I've seen more than several posts that seem to support that speculation, but my assumptions are worth what you paid for them.

· "Death From Above"
12,457 Posts
What he did was he used the USGI flash suppressor, which was 100% up to specs, to index my barrell. Once it was all leveled he put my Chinese one back on. Now the USGI was straight on and the other isn't. Solution? Get a SA brake instead and shoot a few rounds into the old Flash Supp. DI2
AH I see I thought he may have used the current piece to align it. Art Luppino recently wrote a thread which describes a fix for a barrel that was out of index and how you can fix it by modifying the FH. This seems like an option for you considering its the other way around if you want to continue to use the current FH. Food for thought an I am sorry for mis understanding your situation.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
AH I see I thought he may have used the current piece to align it. Art Luppino recently wrote a thread which describes a fix for a barrel that was out of index and how you can fix it by modifying the FH. This seems like an option for you considering its the other way around if you want to continue to use the current FH. Food for thought an I am sorry for mis understanding your situation.
No worries. I could have been a little more specific. GI2

Also, It would probably drive me nuts to have the front sight all the way to the left to compensate for the crooked FS. I guess that's the price we have to pay if we cannot spend $$$$ on the real deal.

· Registered
1,727 Posts
springfield muzzle brake

I have two and also own Smith ent brakes. Neither has the upper hand on the other. Both brakes work well. The Springfield brake really does the job I am sure somewhere out there is a better brake but the two manufacturers I am using work fine and dandy. You won't be disappointed with the Springfield brake and it is cheaper

· Registered
142 Posts
i had one on a ss loaded i bought used, after a hundred rounds it loosened up a bit. took it to a gun smith to have it tightend up & same thing would happen. i live in ohio so i went to 7.62 firearms & bought one of their mil spec forged flash hider's, which had no problems at all. when i wanted a muzle brake for a used bush rifle i bought from the px, i also bought a used smith enterprise uscg muzzle brake from the px. it has been perfect & works well, its also a little shorter than the sai brake. i wouldn't hesitate to buy another smith brake.

· Registered
540 Posts
I took my Ca legal FH and drilled a few 30 degree holes in it and wala its now a muzzle brake.

My fellow shooters on both sides tend to move away from me for some reason.... Body Odor?

· Registered
1,423 Posts
I took my Ca legal FH and drilled a few 30 degree holes in it and wala its now a muzzle brake.

My fellow shooters on both sides tend to move away from me for some reason.... Body Odor?

Yes. I can smell you from here. Quite putrid if you ask me.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.