M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In commemmoration of the 100 year anniversary of the 1911 pistol, I recently bought a new Springfield Armory 1911!GI6

I picked it up at the shop, lubed it down and commenced firing it on my range. I first fired at 15 yards at a pie plate sized bullseye target, all rounds in a nice tight cluster in the black...I backed up to 25 yards, results were the same, then 35, then 45, I got five out of seven in the black at 45 yards, and then backed up to 50 yards, and fired again, 5 out of seven in the black, and the ones in the white were pretty close.GI6

This is about the best I can personally do with a 1911 in off hand shooting, which is the only way I shoot a handgun.

I am extremely pleased with this new 1911, and I have to say Springfield Armory has done a heck of job with this fine pistol. The frame to slide is tightly fitted, and has a nice adjustable rear sight, I may replace it later with a fixed sight, but for now I really like it as is. The pistol does not have the front serrations or a full length guide rod, and that is fine with me, which is one reason I bought it.

If you're looking for a really nice 1911 pistol for a good price, this one is hard to beat!

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Nice shooting, 4570, and nice pistol too. Like you, I've noticed that Springfield is about the best priced of the premium 1911's available. Even with the target sights that one just looks right.

·
Senior Chief, U. S. Navy, Ret
407 Posts
Nice piece and a great way to start off the New Year. Enjoy!

·
Registered
68 Posts
for the money, the RO from springfield is a very nice firearm. We sell them faster than springfield can produce them.Congrats on the purchase!

Damit out

·
Super Moderator
11,171 Posts
I just put one on lay-O-way, and can't wait. On the pistol I'm getting the slide and frame fit is so close it borders on hard fitted, its alot tighter than my wifes black stainless.

Barrel too slide to bushing is very tightly fitted, there is no play or springback when its home I will see if a bushing wrench is needed for there removal. My first issue with the pistol is the barrel bushing its SS thats polished I may just blast it too give it a matte finnish so it will blend in better with the overall finnish on the rest of the pistol, or fit a new NM bushing I have from my spare parts box thats already parked and is a good color match.

#2 issue, is the SA grips, there those new style ones that are engraved with the crossed cannons, they may look stylish but please not on my pistol. I have a very nice pair of full checkerd dark rosewood grips that look more like dark oiled walnut with a hint of rose that will give this pistol that just right look.

#3 is that ILS main spring housing, I have a flat MSH with landyard loop thats crossed checkerd and parked, it will match very nicely and take about 2min too swap out. Then its done.

Trigger brake is sweet! overtravel none, reset clear, sharp, distinct. for a factory tuned pistol SA got it right!! right out for the box.

When I get it home I will see if it shoots as good as it looks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Springfield .45

This is an absolutely beautiful weapon. I purchased one for my son several years ago and he cycled about 8-10 thousand rounds with absolutely no problems whatsoever! What a magnificent showing!
At the urging of his brother-in-law he purchased a Glock and had nothing but problems and finally complained so often/loudly he got his money back. He now shoots/owns nothing but Springfields and he danceloves them.

The primary rule of ALL firearms is that when the trigger is pulled the gun goes "bang" and a bullet leaves the muzzle. Anything less than this and the gun is not worth owning!dance2

1 - 7 of 7 Posts