M14 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So first let me Start off with Springfield is fixing the issue, and have done a good job with working with me to get the issue fixed. I’ve haven’t seen any Op-rod crack like this.

Got the rifle one year ago, just hit the 1000 round mark mostly of 147-149 M80 ball surplus, or newly made M80 ball with some 150 grain 308. Well theOp-rod cracked on me in the charging handle area and later the whole charging handle snapped off while field stripping for further inspection. Appears the Op-Rod might have a slight bend in also forward of there.

I’m just happy I noticed before it flew off during firing. Metal appears to be soft and I’ve never seen anything like this. Once again Springfield has been pretty good with trying to fix the problem and I have no Fault against them, just a bizarre fluke. Any ideas what could cause this besides bad metal?

·
Registered
10,741 Posts
The metal is thinnest at the camming slot. Looks like it broke on the forward stroke. Most likely a heat treatment issue.

1. How was the bolt roller? Did it crack or come off?
2. Any modifications to the piston? Such as adjusting dwell.
3. What is the serial number range? The rifle looks more than a year old.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bolt roller and other parts are fine, all parts but the stock (surplus M14 stock) and the flash suppressor are Springfield Armory as they came from the factory. Serial number in the 451XXX range.

·
Registered
10,741 Posts
I assume they are taking the whole rifle back. They need to check all the specs, to make sure the piston was stopping the forward motion of the oprod and not the bolt roller.

·
Premium Member
15,447 Posts
Saw one like that before. Fellow had a rnd stuck in the chamber and smacked the op rod handle on the top of the shooting bench to try to clear. OOPS. Springfield replaced the op rod and reamed the chamber.

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
I never trusted the commercial parts SA, Inc used. Whenever I purchased an M1A, always replaced SA, Inc parts with USGI, but that was sixteen years ago when they were not so expensive.

·
Premium Member
6,879 Posts
Tommo I am with ya, its USGI M14 parts or BUST!

XM25REN

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
SAI should be around a half million Rifles built & how many of with this issue ? It's all speculation on the cause unless there is a report on metallurgy of the Op Rod & what ever is found from Rifle inspection from SAI .

·
Registered
10,741 Posts
SAI ran out of USGI oprods at about the 100k mark. That means that there are at least 350k M1A rifles in use that have commercial cast operating rods. I only know of about a half dozen that have failed.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Glad your OK and this did not happen during live fire. Certainly could have been catastrophic !
Just an observation from your pics but, your rifle looks very dry and could use some grease in the metal to metal contact area's. Good to know SAI is taking care of it for you.Post up some pics upon repair.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Saw one like that before. Fellow had a rnd stuck in the chamber and smacked the op rod handle on the top of the shooting bench to try to clear. OOPS. Springfield replaced the op rod and reamed the chamber.
nf1e that was my first thought also. Only the guy sat the rifle on the ground and put the boot to the charging handle. NOT the best way to clear a live Indian 02' round.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well the rifle got sent off the other day, won’t see it until September. (Out of state for work) I will update when I get back home. In terms of lubrication, the rifle had just been wiped off before I took the photos had a lot of dust kick up shooting prone that day and it was collecting in the grease. Been using either Rigs grease or some lithium bearing grease from the local feed store. And I’ve seen way to many guys with stuck casings in M4’s/AR-15s, 249’s and 240’s and with broken charging handles Coming in for service to mortar my own gun. Plus muzzle control gets a little iffy.

·
Registered
82 Posts
It is good that you caught the problem on inspection, always see that you and equipment are good to go. As said thank goodness that it didn't fail when your face was behind it. I was leaning on some hot loads hammering the assembly.

I have seen more out of concentric rounds in the last few years than ever before. I now check EVERY round whether surplus or new box rounds.

About five years ago I had a Malaysian round that was 2/3rds chambered, and seen the bolt was out of battery so I pulled the charging handle instead of jamming the bolt forward making the condition worse. It still took some effort but was glad that the round came loose and my day continued. Having a bipod on made handling the rifle much easier also.

I use Protec Gungrease in a syringe that I got 15 or 20 years ago. Place it on any wear areas and apply and wipe with a q tip. Then if I shoot on the colder days I will use a little Castrol mixed with.

I do hope that you get a definitive answer Guitarist7.62

1 - 17 of 17 Posts