M14 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know what type of oil or stock treatment that Springfield Armory incorporated uses on thier walnut stocks. I love the dull dark color that they are and I'm in the process of sanding a USGI stock with National Match treatment. I would like to get it to come out exactly the same or is close to that dark walnut dry grainy look that they have. Thanks

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
That's funny 3Gunnah … I just now finished applying my 9th coat of BLO to my new SAI stock in hopes of giving it a nice smooth satin finish because I thought the stock was a little too dull and dry looking.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I don't know what SAI or Boyd's uses on the stocks, but pure tung oil will work. Be careful not to use just any tung oil, you want pure tung oil that does not have any polymers or curing agents mixed in.

There are Internet woodworking sites that you can order pure tung oil from. Half a dozen coats of PTO and the stock will be wasser neicht.

·
Registered
8,518 Posts
They use BLO mixed with polyurethane or some other sort of sealer. A dunk in the mix and out you go. The sealer makes it very difficult to apply other finishes and PTO may be the best option b/c it sits on top and polymerizes.

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
They use BLO mixed with polyurethane or some other sort of sealer. A dunk in the mix and out you go. The sealer makes it very difficult to apply other finishes and PTO may be the best option b/c it sits on top and polymerizes.
Uh oh … so does that mean the work I've put into my SAI stock may be all for naught?

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the answers. I think I will try the boiled linseed oil. Any advice on what I should Wipe the stock down with before I apply the oil. Thanks

·
Registered
241 Posts
Uh oh … so does that mean the work I've put into my SAI stock may be all for naught?
If the 9 coats you put on it is soaking into the wood you're good. If you over saturate the wood the BLO will take forever to dry and feel tacky. 9 coats should be plenty..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts