M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just an update to my newbie post last month about breaking the oprod on my supermatch. Just in time for this weekend's match in Carthage, TX, SAI returned my rifle with a new oprod, gas cylinder lock and gas cylinder in a brand new SA rifle box. No bill and no explanation of why it may have broken in the first place. I really wanted to know what, if anything, I could have done to prevent the break in the first place but perhaps it's best left alone and thank SAI for their great customer service. As the second owner of a 1983 rifle I have to say I'm pleased with the outcome. Thanks to all who provided a wealth of information and suggestions.GI1

·
Registered
607 Posts
My rifle went away last week back to SAI for a broken Op Rod, I hope to fare as well as you with new everythings! I doubt I will see an explanation as well, but Ill let you know if they say anything as to what happened with mine. How long did it take from send off to return?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hot ammo maybe? Or just perhaps a weakness in the metal that eventually got the best of it. I was a bit concerned about mine when using some hot and heavy match ammo, so I got an adjustable gas plug and tuned it to really soften the cycling. Also got some Tubbs springs which stiffen it up a bit.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Maybe I shouldn't be surprised but I guess I am a little. Where did your op rods break? SAI's "two line" op rods used to be one of their better OEM parts. Different posted some info a few days ago on who made them.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Had one break on a new national match. Sent it in and had it back in less than two weeks. Great service. Also bought a new forged one from LRB, just in case. Great srevice there, also.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My previous post had a pic of the broken rod - it broke cleanly just forward of where the tubular portion joins the forged or cast part. My loads are just over 2600 fps but when this current batch of ammo is gone I'm going to reduce them to a point below that. An adjustable or ventilated gas plug might be in my future as well. This was a 1983 rifle so maybe SA took pity on me.

I shipped the rifle to SA on 14 Oct and it was back here on 1 Nov.

·
MGySgt USMC (ret)
7,066 Posts
SAinc. had a problem with the welds in their two part op rods back in the eighties. They did not have the lifetime guarantee then, but G.I. op rods were plentiful and cheap. So most of us just put G.I. ones in and no more worries.

Most likely the failure of the op rods mentioned here were due to improper welding as well. It is very expensive to test a weld without cutting it open, so I ASSUME SAinc. doesn't do that on their op rods. However, when they replace the bad ones and pay for the cost of shipping the rifle both ways, that's a great warranty.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts