M14 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
Yes, Springfield Armory, Inc. did install Winchester (and other USGI) M4 barrels on M1A rifles as they had them in inventory. They went to the blue and white box between some time between 1989 (serial number 052XX) and 1993 (serial number 075XXX).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all,

I used the info to buy a Pre-Ban (Pre 1994) M1-A with GI parts and Winchester barrel in a blue and white box. It's about 1990/91 vintage. Supposed to get it (hopefully) this weekend. I'll post some photos when it arrives.

Thanks again,

LBJ

·
Registered
79 Posts
congrats!!

I don't remember when I bought my NIB M1A, but it came in a white/blue box, and had a WIN barrel. It also came with a coupon to get accessories and parts, including additional GI barrels for $70 each, man am I kicking myself now, I shoulda bought 10!!!!!!

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
LBJ said:
Thanks all,

I used the info to buy a Pre-Ban (Pre 1994) M1-A with GI parts and Winchester barrel in a blue and white box. It's about 1990/91 vintage. Supposed to get it (hopefully) this weekend. I'll post some photos when it arrives.

Thanks again,

LBJ
LBJ, would you mind sharing the first two digits of the serial number so I can pin down the change in color of the shipping box a little better? It's for the book. :D

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
LBJ said:
Different,

I'll post the number when it gets in. I thought he had sent the numbers in an e-mail but I guess not. It'll be here this weekend.

LBJ
Thanks, LBJ. It looks like 02/18/05 will be the deadline for anything going into the first edition of the book. I have two meetings to attend, one tomorrow and one on Saturday. Then Monday through Thursday I'll enter the information from those two meetings and do one last editing check. Then the manuscript goes to the publisher. 8)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Different,

I didn't realize you were putting a book together. Congrats on that effort! I'll have the FFL read me the numbers over the phone if I'm not able to drive out there due to working OT this weekend.

Good luck on the project,
LBJ

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
LBJ said:
Different,

Haven't forgotten. Will be going out on Tues Eve instead. Called the FFL but talked to his wife. So, I didn't bother asking for the serial number.
Thanks, LBJ. E-mail me or post here the first two digits of your rifle serial number as soon as you can. My "polishing" of the manuscript is going to take a few more days than planned. :lol: I spent six hours with Mike Sadlak and a former Army M14 armorer on 02/11 and all day on 02/12 with Karl Maunz. I've got pages and pages and pages of notes to incorporate into the manuscript plus some AWESOME photos to post on my web site. 8)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Different,

Got home with the rifle tonite. The serial number is "076XXX" and it does have the blue box. I am a little disappointed in that the box label says it came with a black fiberglass stock and has been restocked to walnut. While I DO like the walnut, I never dreamed it had been restocked, so it hurts the originality factor. I never thought to ask if the walnut stock was original, since that's how most of the M1-A's came in that time frame (so I thought). But overall it seems to be in nice shape. I don't have time to mess with it much tonite.

LBJ

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.