M14 Forum banner

221 - 231 of 231 Posts

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Airman- that's not unusual. I have a '94 SAI and the 3rd gen mount ended up like that. It shot loose. That's when I gave up on it and designed my own mount that would fit out-of-spec receivers. Check out the first link below

Attachments

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Perfectly normal. If you didn't have that distortion of the vertical guide then you were not following directions.
Many people fail to follow the directions requiring that the mount be struck with a mallet several times while tightening the mounting screw. This "mates" the mount to the receiver grooves.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Stick with the SAI! You might want to call SAI and ask about the deformity. The one I have on my Loaded shows no deformity. The mount looks the same as mine but without the deformation at the top. Perhaps the rifle is "out of spec". Can you take a photo of the rifle side of the mount. That would help to isolate the problem. I don't think there is a problem with mount.

·
Registered
8 Posts
What brand and serial # range of receiver are you using? I have read that some receivers were not machined to spec in those groves. The below instructions from Bill Ricca included a warning from 1998 about the mount not fitting some receivers - presumably there were issues...hence my question about what receiver you have and what serial range.

FWIW, the military apparently had similar issues with some M21s. I have seen some old AR TEL scope mounts that had slightly damaged vertical guides similar to the picture posted, but typically not quite as obvious. I presume they shot-loose and got kind-of slightly deformed via a subtle canting process, but an old timer told me that sometimes they would use a rubber mallet to gently "crush fit" some mounts from the ART II scope era to fit into the groves on the M14 receiver.

They etched the serial #s on the mounts to keep the rifle and scope/scope mount together, as the two parts along with the drilled clip guide were sort-of 'custom fitted' at that point. Sounds like bad practice and made me wonder if the clip guide alignment/rear bolt attachment point was the real issue and not the receiver rail, but that's what I was told by an old timer who was familiar with the M21s.
ITS A M1A Standard. My S/N range is 195XXX

·
Registered
64 Posts
Basset has my vote. Can use iron sights, easy on / off, returns near to zero when put back on and using the supplied wrench and technique. Rock solid.

·
Registered
22 Posts
UPDATE TO ALUMINUM MOUNT WORRIES
It’s been a bit but this is my update to the Aluminum Gen 4 Mounting issues.
THE ISSUES I was having were;
1.the mount sits slightly off center
2. It doesn’t feel totally seated
3. It will loosen up when firing.

THE REALITY
1. The mount appearing to sit slightly off center had no effect on accuracy. It was pretty much dead on.
2. The aluminum mount is designed to “bite” into the receiver and hold. It will appear slightly deformed after you take it off where it sits against the left-outer side of the receiver. This is normal. The instructions even give instructions on banging it around to help it seat to specifically “your rifle”.
3. The mount did loosen up very slightly after 80 or so rounds. It didn’t appear to lose accuracy. It wasn’t enough for me to even notice because I could only retighten it with a tool afterwards.

For the price, the mount is great because you can remove it without too much of a headache, just 2 screws.

You may get different results from a SADLAK mount or something, but I can’t speak to that because I haven’t even used one.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Best M1A Scope Mount

Hi Yall. Newbie here. I am looking for a scope mount for my M1A. Am Leaning towards the Sadlak Airborne. Its expensive but I only want to do this once. Is there any other candidates that I should look at. The Springfield mount does'nt do much for me. Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a 4th gen with a 4.5-27x50 Bushnell FORGE and Seekins rings - 0 issues, even at distance. (the 500 yard target covered by the verticle post in the pic) :)

20200528_095448.jpg

·
Registered
356 Posts
Hi,

I've been giving this mount serious consideration mainly due to it's lower price compared to those by A.R.M.S & Smith Enterprises.

I just wondered if there is anything fundamentally wrong with the design, or is it a generally good mount overall?

I've done a search & it didn't turn up anything specific to this mount, so any comments, experiences or opinions would be welcome

Regards.

John. :)
I have owned two SA mounts and the last one was the 4th gen, I believe. They always seemed to work loose. Aluminum doesn't work against 308 recoil. Their rails were not impressive either. Basset, Smith and ARMS all have their + and -, but you should also consider cheek weld and scope bell clearance. In addition, SA M1As receivers are not perfectly forged to US military dimensions. I found a Smith import clone and notice that it also had a complaint that is also found with the more expensive mounts, but I was only out 80 bucks. My iron sights didn't line up perfectly with the mount's channel. SA did but would work loose. Using STEEL shims, I corrected my clone, and my Warne 30 mm quick attach rings reattach to provide me a +- 1/2 MOA. Excellent!!!! Then, I started getting stove piping. The clone had a low profile, which I wanted but now produced stove piping!!!! The piping was due to a weak ejector button spring not having enough coiled energy to kick brass out and up. Brass would kick up and bounce off scope mount. I hope this helps!

221 - 231 of 231 Posts