M14 Forum banner

201 - 220 of 231 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Pictures of offset aluminum mount. I hope I’m just being hypercritical but when you line up the rail, it’s definitely left. The photos may not do justice, but I put a string running from the front sight post to the rear peep hole. Hope this helps.
From the pictures it appears that maybe the base where the magazine charger was is too wide on the left side, and the causes the base to be slightly canted from left to center going back to front. Is it possible to remove a small amount of material from the rear base to move the rear more to the right on tightening?
This is strictly my opinion based on your pictures. Others may see things differently.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Pictures of offset aluminum mount. I hope I’m just being hypercritical but when you line up the rail, it’s definitely left. The photos may not do justice, but I put a string running from the front sight post to the rear peep hole. Hope this helps.
From the pictures it appears that maybe the base where the magazine charger was is too wide on the left side, and the causes the base to be slightly canted from left to center going back to front. Is it possible to remove a small amount of material from the rear base to move the rear more to the right on tightening?
This is strictly my opinion based on your pictures. Others may see things differently.
Thank you. I’ll have a look. I don’t think it even touching the stripper clip guide area (replayed by block to screw rear screw into. But I’ll look at it again.) I think it’s probably the mount bit seating as deep as it can in the side of the receiver. I’m going to shoot it today or tomorrow and find out if it’s off.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Thank you. I’ll have a look. I don’t think it even touching the stripper clip guide area (replayed by block to screw rear screw into. But I’ll look at it again.) I think it’s probably the mount bit seating as deep as it can in the side of the receiver. I’m going to shoot it today or tomorrow and find out if it’s off.
Did you follow the instructions on hitting the Mount as described ?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Did you follow the instructions on hitting the Mount as described ?[/QUOTE]

Yes I did. I needed up calling Springfield to ask about it and they said, “it’s supposed to sit like that, I explained again and they said it’s how it’s supposed to be. ”

·
Registered
993 Posts
Related question:
How does one distinguish a 3rd gen from a 4th gen? I have a couple and don't know enough to tell what generation they are.
I watched a youdoomed video with a guy installing a SAI mount, and according to him you put it on--tighten it, tap it with a soft-faced mallet a few wacks, tighten again, tap it again, tighten, and then you are GTG. He claims the repeated "seating" by tapping it insures it won't work itself loose down the road.
But anyway, I am curious what variants I have. Is there an easy way to tell?

·
Registered
264 Posts
0341 Marine. I have not noticed anything “funky looking”. Things look good but I have not done any measurement. It shoots pretty good. The pic below is 5 shots at 200 yards.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
I think there are better scope mounts available; you might have to pay more, but....

Sadlak and Fulton come to mind as alternatives. Any scope mount centered over the receiver is going to place the scope high, it's the nature of the beast. It has to be tall enough (the mount's rail) to allow brass to eject without hitting it. The only ways to keep the scope low is to use one with a small objective (to clear the barrel guard) and the lowest rings you can find.

You want to talk about tall; my scope has a 56mm objective and 35mm tube. I have the shortest rings made to fit that tube and a Picatinny rail. I use the Fulton Brookfield Type DMR mount. It fits the same way the Springfield and all the other receiver mounts do, you remove the stripper dovetail, it attaches there and to the left side of the receiver, but the screw isn't as godawful big as the Springfield mount's are. It also has a set screw that snugs the front of the rail against the breech top to prevent vibration. The Fulton mount allows the use of the fixed sights out to about 250 yards; that's the only advantage to having the scope so high, but I only shoot prone with a bipod or from a bench with mine, so it's not that big a deal

Go the way you want, plan on a large-ish cheekpiece to get your eye where it needs to be, and bang away.

I love that cheek riser. Who made it?

·
Registered
22 Posts
0341 Marine. I have not noticed anything “funky looking”. Things look good but I have not done any measurement. It shoots pretty good. The pic below is 5 shots at 200 yards.
Thank you. I’m going to try a couple shots and see how it goes. If I can zero it at 100, then make vertical shift adjustments on my scopes turret to adjust for drop out to 500 yards, without the windage being crazy far off, then I’ll be happy enough. Thanks

·
Registered
535 Posts
It does look to be slightly off center, but not enough to cause any problems.

M1C and M1D Garand scopes were mounted way off center -

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I'm not completely sure you can use a string off the rear peep sight , even though it looks centered in the scale on the Receiver. looking closely at the Receiver , the actual sight base doesn't look centered to the base of the Receiver & could mean the Scale could be off a little , making your string off to on side a little .

When this photo is enhanced , it appears the sight base is more to the right .

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm not completely sure you can use a string off the rear peep sight , even though it looks centered in the scale on the Receiver. looking closely at the Receiver , the actual sight base doesn't look centered to the base of the Receiver & could mean the Scale could be off a little , making your string off to on side a little .

When this photo is enhanced , it appears the sight base is more to the right .
That makes sense. I actually forgot that the entire action is seated slightly off center of the stock anyhow. (Just by looking at serialized part of the rear of the receiver, it’s clearly evident). I’ll update my shot groups tonight after zeroing. Thanks to everyone for getting another pair of eyes on it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Don't know about the Springfield mount, my "super steal" of a 90's vintage M1A, with an older Springfield 4-14 x56 scope (with caps installed), sits on the TSA steel mount that it came with once again, but I replaced the Millet high rings it came with with a set of ARMS #22 low rings and the entire scope sits MUCH better, in that I don't get vertigo when cheeking the rifle (because the scope was so high, LOL!). It's lower now, the objective bell sits less than a 1/2" (maybe more like 3/8") from the hand guard, and the ocular sits maybe a 1/4" ~ or less off of the rear sight aperture. I guess that's about the best I can get, so we'll see how that cheeks with the E2 stock she is wearing now. Cool thing about that TSA mount is the really deep trough that allows very clear access to the iron sights. I know these TSA mounts were not super well thought of in their day, but if this stays put, I'll be quite happy with it. It's a three point mount, with the front being like an ARMs, a set screw bearing on the front receiver ring.

But, as I was saying, I like where the scope sits now, in the ARMS low rings (the rings came yesterday, near like new, off of eBay, for less that a C note BTW, so that was a nice deal also... Going now to set up my cradle and finish locking the scope down so I can go shoot it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Springfield Armory 4th Gen scope mount problems.

I just took my Springfield Armory 4th Gen aluminum scope mount that I installed recently on my M1A off and noticed that it was damaged on the Vertical guide that goes into the slot just above the hole where the first mount screw goes.

A picture of the damage included with this post. Is this normal or not? It doesn’t look like it should be.

I’ve had problems with the second Mount screw shooting lose when I was at the range with it the first time, I installed the scope mount as per the installation instructions that came with the mount and the YouTube video. The installation instructions said NOT to use any locktite so I didn’t.

I’m pissed that I’m having so many issues with this mount after spending $160 and my gut feeling is that this mount isn’t going to work for me. It’s too late to return it to Optics Planet where aim brought it from.

I’m considering the bassett standard picatinny high scope mount or the Sadlak Aluminum mount

I read some reviews on Amazon that the Sadlak Mount has case Extraction issues but it does look like the most solid mount HOWEVER I do like the ease of installation of the Basset mount as well as the fact that you can still use your iron sights. Basset claims in their website that they’re mount won’t shoot loose or cause extraction issues

Can you give me any ideas on which mount to get or should I stick with the Springfield Armory Mount?

Attachments

·
Read Only
840 Posts
Perfectly normal. If you didn't have that distortion of the vertical guide then you were not following directions. Contrary to what the manufacturer says medium-strength Loctite is required on all M14 scope mounts. It's a good mount you have there so don't worry about it. Be sure to clean all threads and screws before installation.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Ditch the Springfield, they have a history of not working.
Get the Sadlak and never worry about the scope mount again.
My .02

pg
USA2

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Ditch the SAI mount. Is a Chinese knockoff. Get an A.R.M.s, Sadlak, SEI, Basset (if they're still in business), M14ca. etc. Also forum member "Redneck Yankee" designed and machines his own style of mounts. I'm currently using 3 Bassets myself. Definitely no locktite needed for these. I only needed locktite on 1 mount. An SAI 1st generation mount that shook loose twice. Instead of using locktite, I changed out the mount for a better one and never looked back. Lloyd BEERCHUG1

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
What brand and serial # range of receiver are you using? I have read that some receivers were not machined to spec in those groves. The below instructions from Bill Ricca included a warning from 1998 about the mount not fitting some receivers - presumably there were issues...hence my question about what receiver you have and what serial range.

FWIW, the military apparently had similar issues with some M21s. I have seen some old AR TEL scope mounts that had slightly damaged vertical guides similar to the picture posted, but typically not quite as obvious. I presume they shot-loose and got kind-of slightly deformed via a subtle canting process, but an old timer told me that sometimes they would use a rubber mallet to gently "crush fit" some mounts from the ART II scope era to fit into the groves on the M14 receiver.

They etched the serial #s on the mounts to keep the rifle and scope/scope mount together, as the two parts along with the drilled clip guide were sort-of 'custom fitted' at that point. Sounds like bad practice and made me wonder if the clip guide alignment/rear bolt attachment point was the real issue and not the receiver rail, but that's what I was told by an old timer who was familiar with the M21s.

201 - 220 of 231 Posts