M14 Forum banner

181 - 200 of 231 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Scope mount SAI 1st generation

I have a SAI 1st generation single point attachment M14/M1A scope mount but without the proper attaching knob. I believe the knob to be USGI but it will not fit/screw into my LRB M14SA receiver. Can anyone tell me where I can get an attachment knob that will work with this mount and thread to a LRB receiver. Thank you.

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
I don't mean to bust your bubble but there's a very good reason there's a second and third series .
There are far better mounts out there for a top tier rifle like an LRB
it's like putting remanufactured oil in a new Mercedes

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Ya , I have the current model Fourth gen. Mount on my SOCOM & its been woking out great , but if I was going to get another Mount it would be an ARMS 18 or Sadlac Mount . I sure like my ARMS 18 .

You might want to contact SAI , maybe they would know if any replacement exists or what may be a replacement knob .

·
Premium Member
15,262 Posts
I don't mean to bust your bubble but there's a very good reason there's a second and third series .
There are far better mounts out there for a top tier rifle like an LRB
it's like putting remanufactured oil in a new Mercedes
Or trying to put a square peg in a round hole. Geesh!

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
That same mount your talking about came with my Standard in '96. My understanding is that these are all Chinese made. When I did use it years ago, it would hold a zero when taken off and put back on, but it shook loose quite a few times. I replaced it with a Basset high mount. You have a prime receiver/rifle combo, do yourself a favor and get a good scope and mount, SEI (Smith Enterprise), or Arms mounts, for a 2-3 point lock-up or Basset for a single point side mount, something along these lines. If you don't have a decent mount, you're liable to damage the scope. How? Because of the violent action of the M14 in recoil, ejecting and chambering. M-14/M1a's will break a lesser scope, even if you have a good mount!!! -Lloyd BEERCHUG1

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I have a few extra SAI thumbscrews and can send one for no charge if you like.
Or, you could buy one of my mounts by clicking on the first link below. Everyone who has purchased these found them to be of the highest quality and a solid, reliable fit.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Thanks for the advice everyone. Looks like I will be getting a better mount !
Check out Red Neck Yankee's mounts. He designed and builds them. Several forum members have purchased one and seem to like it. -Lloyd BEERCHUG1

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've looked at, and read about, SAI scope mounts as well as most of the alternatives. Some years ago, I decided to try the Bassett Low Picatinny mount for my 1978 Supermatch. My success with it led me to buying another for my Loaded. No problems and complete satisfaction with both mounts...no loosening, holds zero both once mounted and when taken off and put back on. YMMV but mine didn't.

Harry

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just bought the aluminum 4th gen scope mount and I’m really skeptical.
I haven’t shot it yet, and I’m really hoping I’m wrong about some stuff

The good
It sits nicely after installing it, and it feel sturdy and looks great.

It maintains placement after knocking it around, this is after retightening the screws over and over (installation instructions).

The newest model just has the SA stamp seal on it, not the billboard white lettering the earlier ones have.

The Bad

It appears to be crooked. The mount appears to be along the barrel axis, but is offset from the barrel to the left. I can’t tell if it’s accurate yet, but it already looks off just by looking down the picatinny rail.

Will include pictures soon.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
I have a Gen 4 mount, I don't think there's anything wrong with 'em. Mine stays tight. I'd sell it, but I have the notion of mounting a giant moon scope on it............someday. Just another way of making sure I keep things unnecessarily complicated.:ARM28:
IMO, a 24mm scope will sit ridiculously high on it. I think you'd be much happier with a Redneck Yankee mount. It's much less bulky than the Gen 4 and would be a nice setup with your scope choice. You'd also have easy access to the irons.
Welcome to the forum BTW.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I have had one on my SOCOM for a while & a lot of ammo , as long as you follow the directions that come with it or on line ,definitely clean all threads & use loctite , its solid . I have a 2.5x10x42 Nikon Monarch on mine .

·
Registered
22 Posts
Pictures of offset aluminum mount. I hope I’m just being hypercritical but when you line up the rail, it’s definitely left. The photos may not do justice, but I put a string running from the front sight post to the rear peep hole. Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
621 Posts
I think there are better scope mounts available; you might have to pay more, but....

Sadlak and Fulton come to mind as alternatives. Any scope mount centered over the receiver is going to place the scope high, it's the nature of the beast. It has to be tall enough (the mount's rail) to allow brass to eject without hitting it. The only ways to keep the scope low is to use one with a small objective (to clear the barrel guard) and the lowest rings you can find.

You want to talk about tall; my scope has a 56mm objective and 35mm tube. I have the shortest rings made to fit that tube and a Picatinny rail. I use the Fulton Brookfield Type DMR mount. It fits the same way the Springfield and all the other receiver mounts do, you remove the stripper dovetail, it attaches there and to the left side of the receiver, but the screw isn't as godawful big as the Springfield mount's are. It also has a set screw that snugs the front of the rail against the breech top to prevent vibration. The Fulton mount allows the use of the fixed sights out to about 250 yards; that's the only advantage to having the scope so high, but I only shoot prone with a bipod or from a bench with mine, so it's not that big a deal

Go the way you want, plan on a large-ish cheekpiece to get your eye where it needs to be, and bang away.

Attachments

181 - 200 of 231 Posts