M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi people it's me again with qestions. I've got a 03 from my Son-Inlaw and it's completly covered in Cosmoline. Well the question is "how Do I Remove The Stock"? I removed the Hand Guard but I don't know what I have to do to remove the Thru Bolts /Pins going thru the Reciever. I need help.
oldtimer35
NAV1USAF2

·
Retired
4,768 Posts
You will need to remove the upper barrel band that has the bayonet lug on it, the lower band with the sling swivel, and the two screws in the trigger guard. The bolts that go through the stock are reinforcing bolts for the wood, and do not hold the receiver to the stock. Leave those alone.GI1

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
So it sounds like you've removed the front sling swivel/stock band now you just take the correct screw driver and remove the two screws that hold the trigger guard/mag cover which screws into the receiver and pull the trigger guard out of the stock. The receiver/barrel assembly should lift out of the stock, although it may be stuck in there with cosmoline/dirt/rust.

Here's a link. A picture is worth a thousand words.............

http://www.surplusrifle.com/1903/rifledisassemble/index.asp

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Cosmo will come off with kerosene , mineral spirits , Safety-Kleen solvent , denatured alcohol. It comes off easier if it's warm too. I've put stocks on newspaper and left them sit in the sun to soften them up. A heatgun or hairdryer will work too.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1903 Springfield

Thanx so much Old Sarge & Mercman for your directions. Everything is apart now and soaking. Mercman I will get a hold of you if I run into problems.
Thanx again to both of you
oldtimer35
NAV1USAF2

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1903 Springfield

Thanx oldsalt I'm using Ovencleaner. It gets it out of the Wood but not to good on the Steel. I'll do the Mineral Spirits after I wash it off. I only leave it on the Wood for 30min. but longer for the Steel. I'll see how the Steel looks after washing.
Thanx again Oldsalt
oldtimer35
NAV1 USAF2

·
Registered
905 Posts
Thanx oldsalt I'm using Ovencleaner. It gets it out of the Wood but not to good on the Steel. I'll do the Mineral Spirits after I wash it off. I only leave it on the Wood for 30min. but longer for the Steel. I'll see how the Steel looks after washing.
Thanx again Oldsalt
oldtimer35
NAV1 USAF2
reminds me of when I was in infantry school. Some chucklehead thought he'd be smart and use oven cleaner to clean his M16A2. Cleaned the black right off it. He paid for that one!

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
Don't use oven cleaner on the steel... if you are, stop now. Please. GI2

Simple green or common gun solvents would be nicer to the metal/finish than oven cleaner will be.

Also if you want to take your bolt apart and don't happen to know how, here's a video FYI:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTeOxN_XX4A[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48wNQbgVJBM[/ame]

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanx for the info, I have used it before and after done totally soaked the metal with oil and let it sit for acouple of days. The metal actully draws the oil into it's pores with no ill effects. But Thanx again oldsalt.
oldtimer35
NAV1 USAF2

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
IMO simple green and warm water with a soft nylon brush is what i would have used on the stock. . lots of people like to use oven cleaner though, but i believe its a little harsh on the wood.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Naptha bath and hang it in the sun, if you still have some.

Mercman's tutorial deserves to be a sticky. No telling how many of those great old rifles have been FUBAR'd by people who thought they could strip 'em down and re-assemble intuitively.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts