M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had delivered from Brownell's a new Springfield unitized gas cylinder and thought I would share a couple of pics on how they welded it. I like how discreet the welding & grinding is and although I've seen pics online demonstrating the top/bottom tac-welds, I haven't seen this method posted anywhere online nor in person before.
As a bonus, the gas valve does seem to operate correctly even with the welds being so close. I'm sure these are installed on Springer's current match rifles but with bedding and such, you hardly ever see the details. Brownell's price seems to be a lot better then others (for this item at least).http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...1a-national-match-gas-cylinder-prod12579.aspx

Take care,
Josh

[URL=http://s1240.photobucket.com/user/jmnewton124/media/imagejpg3.jpg.html]

[/URL]

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I bought one from Springfield when they had them for sale on their website. I have been extremely happy with mine and like you, was impressed with the quality.

·
Read Only
840 Posts
ANyone have a review on these? Good? bad?
Yup, I had one of those that I got from Midway. The two bent tabs that hold the handguard broke off in under two hundred rounds. Sent it back to Midway for a refund and then ordered the NM GC from Fulton Armory. Its welded top and bottom and is much better quality.

There's a reason its twice the price.

·
Registered
7,250 Posts
Yup, I had one of those that I got from Midway. The two bent tabs that hold the handguard broke off in under two hundred rounds. Sent it back to Midway for a refund and then ordered the NM GC from Fulton Armory. Its welded top and bottom and is much better quality.

Like the old saying goes, You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts

I would think that situation was a rare occurrence. The only other times I've heard of or seen posts of the tabs breaking was someone attempting a "do it yourself" bending of the tabs. I'm sure yours was one that slipped past the QC check.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

That's discouraging. I used to pay the bills yrs back welding so when I inspected it, I looked hard but didn't come across any rogue grinding marks except for where they were intended to be. I installed and shimmed her up last night. I can't imagine a plastic / fiberglass handguard breaking off metal retainer tabs but I guess it could happen on a bad one.

,Josh

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.