M14 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I got my new Sadlak NM spring guide and I went to install it today. I noticed that my SAI stock Scout spring is shorter than one of the recent replacement springs I bought at a gun show recently. NOw, the original stock spring has plenty of expanding tension, its functioned flawlessly in its first run, so I have no worries about it, but why is this other spring longer?

So my questions are these for folks who may have made spring mods:
Is the stock spring (brownish color) shorter than a GI spec spring (silver replacement spring I picked up) for any known reason?

Do you think the silver spring is not GI?

Should there be spring "chatter grind" (from spring compression) when the oprod is pulled all the way back? I just noticed this after I installed the new Sadlak guide, and after changing between the old and new one more time, it still happens.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
So, I got my new Sadlak NM spring guide and I went to install it today. I noticed that my SAI stock Scout spring is shorter than one of the recent replacement springs I bought at a gun show recently. NOw, the original stock spring has plenty of expanding tension, its functioned flawlessly in its first run, so I have no worries about it, but why is this other spring longer?

So my questions are these for folks who may have made spring mods:
Is the stock spring (brownish color) shorter than a GI spec spring (silver replacement spring I picked up) for any known reason?

Do you think the silver spring is not GI?

Should there be spring "chatter grind" (from spring compression) when the oprod is pulled all the way back? I just noticed this after I installed the new Sadlak guide, and after changing between the old and new one more time, it still happens.

Any thoughts?

If I remember right, the stock USGI uncompressed length is listed at 15 1/4". There are posts here that state that 14 3/4" is still acceptable. AFAIK, USGI springs were not silver colored or chrome plated. On my Bush Rifle, I changed out the USGI op rod spring guide for a Sadlak NM Guide. It chattered bad also due to the tighter tolerances of the spring guide. There were some high spots/tool marks in the op rog hole. I slotted a wood dowel, put a strip of medium sand paper on it, and polished the high spots off the op rod hole. Took the chattering away. dozier

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will need to do measurement comparison between the two springs.
Again, the original was sort of a brown (does SAI use USGI springs?) and this other is metallic silver, perhaps I can provide photos.

The rifle has performed fine up til this point, debated on whether or not to even install the Sadlak rod as it was fine, but it was pretty much my desire to do so from the beginning. Maybe like everyone else, I'm just getting picky.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.