M14 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been researching "mods" to do to my SOCOM, mainly shimming the gas cylinder. I went to take it apart to see what I was up against and didn't get much further than getting the spring out. Here's why...

shiny (looks like it got hot too)

looks really thin where the pin goes through

Now I may be wrong, but that just doesn't look right to me, like something is wearing in a way it shouldn't be or it was screwed up from the beginning and I'm just now catching it. I didn't see any marks on the receiver or barrel, so I'm really at a loss. Can anybody tell me if something is going on I need to address and fix or if I'm just worrying about something that I don't need to. Thanks!

·
Registered
7,833 Posts
Spring guide

Your spring guide has been modified by grinding down the top surface that sits against the receiver. This may have been done to allow better engagement of the magazine catch slot or it could have been done to eliminate a problem with a misaligned connector hole in the receiver or a slot that was too shallow. Or all of the above. Then again, the guide may have been pulled off the shelf in this condition and used anyway. The thing is, I don't think SAI is using GI guides anymore so it had to have been done "in house" at some point. You may want to try a new spring guide to see if it works OK. If it doesn't the reason for the mod should show itself.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now that is a stand up gesture right there.
I'd have to agree. The more and more I look around this whole forum, the more I begin to realize this is a great place to be. No flame wars, tons of knowledgable people, lots of good info... just a generally good atmosphere. I can honestly say from all the forums (gun, car, music... you name it) I've been on I've never had anybody offer to send me anything. I'll be around here for a good while, and when the opportunity comes, hopefully I can help somebody else out.

Ted, thanks for the info. I guess we'll see what happens in the near future... hopefully it was just a luck of the draw thing and my rifle's spring guide didn't need to be modified to work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts